Black stuff behind the front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 PM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black stuff behind the front bumper

Hi

I've taken my front bumper off for respray and cannot shift the accum. black cr4p from behind it. It looks like 17yrs worth of road grime!
I've tried all sorts of cleaning solution (virosol, washing up liquid, kitchen cleaner etc) and whilst I've managed to get some off, even scrubbing with a nail brush won't get rid of the rest.
I've still to try leaving some washing gel to soak and pressure wash off but can anyone recommend something that will definately work should this fail?
I've got the same stuff in the wheel arches as well.
I did try some oven cleaner but the paint started to come away so that was washed off pronto!.

With the work I've done to get the car looking half decent in the wheel wells and with the newly painted bumper going back on soon, I'd like to get this stuff removed once and for all.
Thanks

Rob
Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob,

I've found that the Auri Shine 'wax' product has excellent petroleum based cleaners in it, which cut through road grime without damaging the paint.

http://www.auri.com/product_info.php/products_id/40

Hope that helps.

Chris.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:42 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris

Managed to get most of it off with some HD degreaser and jet wash (worked fine on the wheel arches until I got board but this stuff behind the bumper was a stubborn as F**k!.)

After 3-4 applications of the degreaser I was left with the honeycomb outline of the grill on the bumper which looked worse so I got some paint on Guards Red and painted over it.

Looks great through the bumper grill and brake ducts!

Rob

Quick Reply: Black stuff behind the front bumper