Notices

Poli-seal advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to paint trim and tape.....I use the blue painters tape which is low-tack. Manytimes the reason tape doesn't hold is because of oils or dressings on the trim areas. Clean those areas off any dressing prior to taping off.

Also, apply the tape to the paint....only adhering a sliver of the paint edge. Then go back with some paint cleaner after removing the tape to get rid of any adhesive marks.

When taping try and tape in one continuous line as much as possible rather than a series of short pieces.

When you try the Compound nest don't start with an orange pad but go to a polishing pad first. Since the OP and orange pad removed about 90% of your marring the Hyper and a polishing pad may be all you need for the remainder. You can then use a polishing or finishing pad with the Polish or Poli-Seal.

Anthony
Old 04-10-2007, 03:08 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Everyone is right on.......I just did some work to my parked outside, neglected 02 Saturn.....it gets caked with bugs, rarely washed....has multiple bird droppings that sit FOREVER.......

So I washed it...claybar.....Optimum Polish with Griots Orange pad with Portercable set to 6......then followed by Poli-seal with the griots red pad at 3....... Then Opti spray wax by hand with microfiber.....

It turned out GREAT.....it did not remove the really bad bug stains or bird marks...but those literally cut the clearcoat.....so they will never come out....but it looks much better than it did!!
OK this is my new detailing procedure as well. But what about the Opti-seal???
After I did up to the polyseal before the spray wax started wondering should I Opti-seal it next or just go to the spray wax.
Then what do I do after the next weekend when I return from the track? I plan on Polyseal again to get track junk off so is the opti seal removed?
If I wax every month do I do poly then spray wax and forget the optiseal?
Sorry if I always seem confused? Help me Iceman!!

thanks
tom
Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Apply the PoliSeal and wait about 24 hours and then lay down some OptiSeal on top. Your Porsche would be a great test bed to see how OptiSeal handles the track gunk.

I'm hoping you can remove the track gunk with a wash and then just re-apply some OptiSeal.....it will only take you about 10 minutes.

Let me know how that works,
Anthony
Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real issue will be with the marbles you pick up on the nose of the car, as well as the brake dust from racing pads. Do us a favor and post pics(if you have ANY time at the track for such) of the car before racing and when it is finished for the weekend, but before washing. It will be good info in terms of how much the various products were able to shed track funk.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:19 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

I will but I was worried with the amout of junk from track rain driving etc that just washing and reapplying the optiseal wouldnt remove the crap??
Kinda like some "polish" action. I had not thought of just trying what you said Anthony but I will and thank you. Then it would seem I am completely depending on the wash to remove everything.
I have been putting the optiseal on only after the polyseal so far.
thanks for the replies.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The opti-seal should make the paint really slick so that it bocomes difficult for track debris to stick to the paint. It should then only require a good washing to remove the dirt. That's why I said it would be interesting to see how the marbles of rubber effect the opti-seal. It should be awfully difficult for the rubber to stick to your paint. I'm guessing it will have a bit to do with the relative temps of the rubber marbles that hit the paint.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:06 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

ok let ya know!! thanks!

Quick Reply: Poli-seal advice