Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:25 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Foam Pad Selection / Product Use

Table II Foam Pad Selection / Use

Polish / Compound Cutting Pad (*Yellow)
A harder more dense foam composition (50 PPI ) with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)
A mid range, high density foam composition (60 PPI) with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)
A softer less dense foam composition(70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black)
An ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability (80 PPI) for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)

Levelling Pads (Wool)
Are made from 100% natural lambs wool (do not use synthetic wool) are usually used to level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas
Wool pads used wet or dry produce the most paint surface `compounding haze' (40 PPI)

4 Ply 100% Twisted Wool
Each strand of high grade wool fibre is tightly twisted, allowing our pad to stay at a consistent level of aggression for longer periods of operation. Choose from 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2" and 2" pile lengths. Choose shorter pile for your most aggressive compounding and longer pile for aggressive compounding with greater durability.

Electrified White Sheepskin
The electrification process removes the microscopic barbs from the hairs in the wool resulting in a soft and effective compounding material that does not scratch the painted surface.
Choose from 3", 4", and 5" diameters with a 1/2" or 3/4" pile height.

Lake Counties (LC) Specification
A patented process encapsulates the base of the lamb’s wool fibres with microscopic polyurethane foam particles. Cuts like natural sheepskin but finishes like a foam pad. Aggressively removes 1500 - 2000 grit scratches, leaving a lustrous finish with no hazing by reducing compounding swirls. Foamed fibres resist matting and compression. Foaming process also creates minute air pockets at the base of the fibres, which improves cushioning and retention of compounds and polishes.

[B]Information Resource-[/B http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/woolcutpads_feat.html

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads.

Never mix polishes on a foam pad, and never use a foam pad that has been used to apply a compound for polishing unless it has been thoroughly cleaned first.

Foam Pad Backing Plate:
Always use a smaller sized backing plate then the Velcro™ foam pad you are using (i.e. a 6-inch backing plate and a 6.5-inch foam pad) Never use a backing plate that is larger then the backed foam pad as the backing plate will damage and / or scratch the paintwork.

A 5-inch diameter backing plate when used with a 6.5 -inch foam pad allows a 0.75-inch `safety' margin' between the edge of the backing plate and the foam pad. To ensure compatibility of fit with a Porter-Cable the post adaptor should be a 5/16th-inch-24 threaded shaft.

Note: Use the 6-inch counter weight (Porter Cable PN 699933) to lessen machine / pad vibration.

TOGWT Copyright © 2002-2007. Jon Miller, all rights reserved

Last edited by TOGWT; 03-21-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:22 AM
rogueag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the information about the different pads. I am just getting into improving my overall car care practices. Since my 997 cab is black, I need all the hints and suggestions offered.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I for one am awfully thankful to the experts that use their valuable time here, for free I might add, to give us their take on the actual, rather than marketed, quality of various products. At the end of the day, if you ask a question, you will get an answer, or even many, but it’s your car and your cash. If one chooses to ignore one source for another, there is no room for blame on anyone but the end user.

A paint film surface is a delicate thin coating; easily dulled and very easily scratched and / or damaged.
Choose carefully the advice you listen to and more importantly what advice you act upon.

Quick Reply: Foam Pad Selection / Product Use