Optimum no rinse

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimum no rinse

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/norinse.html

Anybody (Anthony you recommend Optimum as a company dont you?) ever used this....sounds to good to be true....and what happens to all that grit that you have not hosed away before using the wash!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

I use this stuff all the time on my black S. Huge time saver.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It goes into your wash mitt. Where it seems to stay. I was disappointed that it didn't release or rinse very well. Hopefully the surfaceants or whatever in the No Rinse prevent the grit from scratching the paint.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Use two bucket method, grit guard in rinse bucket. No more marring issues than with traditional wash methods
Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dhicks

Anybody (Anthony you recommend Optimum as a company dont you?) ever used this....sounds to good to be true....and what happens to all that grit that you have not hosed away before using the wash!!!!

It happens very fast, in a nano-second, so you need to really pay attention, but Optimum elves zoom in when you return the wash mitt back to the bucket and wash it out for you...... ......either that or it's magic.

David from Optimum told me that the polymers in the No-Rinse attract and grab hold of the grit and trap them within the fibers of the wash mitt. So the wash mitt is basically turned into a magnet of sorts and when good and soiled it should be replaced with a clean wash mitt. It may take 2 or 3 wash mitts to thoroughly and safely wash the car using No-Rinse.

But what the hell does David know anyway? .....just because he holds a PhD in chemistry he is an expert? Phht....the elves seem more plausible eh?

All I know is that the stuff works really well and one can safely clean a fairly dirty car, yes even a black one, using only 3 gallons of water and 3 ounces of No Rinse leaving hardly any water on the ground.

Anthony
Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 AM
useth4z
Instructor

I've been using ONR almost exclusively since I got it. Saves a ton of water and like Anthony says seems to stick to the mitt, even if I'm using a rinse bucket. I've never heard of using 2-3 mitts before, but it seems to make sense minimizing possible marring of the paint; I've had good results with the 2 bucket (wash and rinse) 1 mitt method.

Versatile product can be used as a quik detailer as well.

The only time I use regular suds are when the kids are helping wash the daily drivers. They like the mess of it all, especially rinsing with the hose.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 AM
dhicks
Drifting

All
Thanks for the input......maybe I will buy an extra bucket and an extra mit and try this stuff out
Thanks again
David
Old 03-14-2007, 10:10 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

David, please report back on your experience.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

All
Thanks for the input......maybe I will buy an extra bucket and an extra mit and try this stuff out
Thanks again
David
Another approach that I use, is to use "Monstor Fluffy" microfiber clothes for washing. I take one cloth, wet it with ONR mixed per directions. Wring it out a bit and make ONE pass per clean side of the towel. IOW you can get 4-8 passes, with the towel folded in fourths. Each pass is then done with a perfectly clean towel surface and you're never rinsing any dirt out and releasing it in to your wash or rinse water. You can do the whole car with 2-4 towels. I apply no pressure to the wash mitt or towel. I just glide it over the surface and only do one pass in one direction with a clean surface.

You might want to try this method and as you get used to the product, you'll get more and more comfortable. I either use the MF towel technique or a sheepskin mitt.

As noted you can use it as a QD as well. (Mixing strength is noted on the container). I mix it this strength and keep it in a dedicated spayer--1 gallon size, fertilzer type, with "pump" handle on top--and do my wheels and wheel wells first in the wash cycle. I spray the F/R wheel, one side of the car at a time, with the QD strength solution, go to the first wheel sprayed and clean it up, then to the next wheel and do the same. This gives the solution a little time to soak and loosen the dirt.

I've cleaned my car when it's been pretty dirty with ONR, though mostly mine has heavy dusting. The weather here in So Cal isn't that severe, so I'm not ususally trying to clean mud, etc with it.

The stuff is pretty darned amazing and such a time saver for those weekly washes.The Optimum Spray Wax is a nice product too

HTH
Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I have a >90K daily driver that I have been using the optimum polish/wash solution/spray wax for a year now (see avitar for pics) and have been very happy with them, looking forward to trying this new idea, but if the car is "dirty" - we get snow, ice, salt and all sorts of crap on our roads here in MD!!! I may resort to a hard hose rinse prior to starting.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Hey guys......what no one believes in the Optimum elves? Fine then, see if you get anything under your tree next year!

About the 2 or 3 wash mitts.... it's not necessary to use 2 or more mitts as one mitt can do just fine especially if you do a No Rinse wash weekly or if the car has only attracted minor grit and grime.

You'll know if your mitt needs changing when the whole surface area of it is soiled nice and black. I keep an extra mitt handy at all times just in case I drop one mitt or the elves forget to put it back in my bucket.

Also, using regular tap water with ONR will work just fine but if you use treated water, like soft water or DI water you may notice a slight increase in performance as the polymers within ONR are not bonding to the minerals in the water. DI or RO water is ideal, you'll notice the water has a slight slime feel to it, very "slickery" (elf word).

Anthony
Old 03-14-2007, 12:16 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

I was very skeptical of ONR too, until I used it. When I saw the results that guys like Anthony were getting that really changed my mind. I can get my P-Car washed and dried in about 20 mins. And I do my Landcruiser in about the same amount of time!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Hmmm. 2 more posts and I'll crack the 400 barrier =)
Old 03-20-2007, 01:43 PM
San Antonio Mobile Car Wash
Track Day

(Anthony you recommend Optimum as a company dont you?)
Recommends? He represents Optimum, he is the distributor here in San Antonio.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by San Antonio Mobile Car Wash
Recommends? He represents Optimum, he is the distributor here in San Antonio.

Not only San Antonio but ALL of Texas

Anthony

Quick Reply: Optimum no rinse