Notices

New toy: a Foamer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:38 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New toy: a Foamer...

One of the guys from the detailing forum, Autopia, showed a test of a number of different soaps using a.. Foamer? I think of packaging and airplane accidents..

It lays down a whole bunch of soap on the surface. Soaps are surficants, degreasers, softeners, etc - etc... and I usually just bucket a bunch and use a fleece mitt. I think - this concept is to allow the soap time to do its work ..vs. the quick swipe I usually give it with the mitt. Here's what the Gilmour foamer looks like and the cheap soap I bought at Auto Zone ...notice the label pic?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most every site I checked had the Gilmour foam gun (private labeled) at $59.99 for the qt size, $69.99 for the half gallon.

This was the best price I was able to locate last night, $49.99
http://www.danase.com/gifofogun.html

For $119, they even have one that uses compressed air supply
http://www.danase.com/tocarto.html

I bought the $49 one....I'll experiment on the race car trailer.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Danase - from what I can see - is clearly one of the better places to buy kit. They also have the best prices on a heated extractor, tho' I got a coldwater one 'cause I could not justify the cost.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my foam gun!

Purchased one from Autogeek

Saves using a suds bucket, (just need a large rinse bucket), and gives way more foam on the car than any other method.

Helps with crud removal, and is definitely the way to go.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:35 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Next day - different soap combo. Fiddling around, I tried Palmolive dishwashing soap with a very alkaline, Iosso Mould/Stain remover that I've been washing this truck with for years. Big difference: tons more suds + longer dwell. (I like that word) I'm quite convinced: this was the best bath I've ever given this truck.

The suds lasting longer - not much wind today - gave the soap the time to do its thing and gave me the time to rub-a-dub .. simply worked a lot better. I gather there are proper automotive soaps that coordinate with the foamer without alchemism. Only mod I'll make is to Y-connect another hose with a better sprayer for the rinse as the foamer end removed from the squeeze handle gives you the near-equivalent of an open hose end.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Washing-up liquids should not be used on a regular basis for vehicles bodywork as they are formulated for use with hot water and their concentrated detergent soaps and usually high sodium content (sodium hydroxide) which produces a highly alkaline (pH 12.8) content, which will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze, and will also leave a detergent ‘film’ residue
Old 03-12-2007, 02:17 PM
wetstuff
Pro

TOGWT: I'm not in a secure position to disagree with your chemistry. My expirence is limited to simple field work where I've washed this Ford Escape perhaps 50 times since Sep 2000 with this same Iosso soap and leaving it 'squeaky' (oil free like you say..) each time - with a notable shine. ..with no notable degregation of the paint.

As my beach/work truck, I've never bothered to do anything more than wash it in these 125,000mi ...no All-In-One ..no polish ..no wax or sealants. And with this foamer and a mix of Palmolive/Iosso - it seemed even cleaner?! (truck has never been spent a night in a garage or otherwise covered...)

I don't have my ph paper at the shop to see what this mix of mine was but there's an interesting FAQ page at Simple Green (I don't use it) ..click on the ph. 9.3-9.5 link to see what some other branded solutions are: http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_faqs.php

Cheers.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Just finished with my new toy...foam gun from auto geek. Incredible results on wheels and car.Learning about that item was worth the fee to join rennlist.If you wash your car as often as i do,once a week,get one.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:44 PM
cobra06
Pro

I love that thing. I use the DP Xtreme foam formula from autogeek, and it really lays down a thick mat O' foam. I still use a two bucket soap/rinse system and the foamer as I wash. It really eliminates the wash induced swirls.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra06
I love that thing. I use the DP Xtreme foam formula from autogeek, and it really lays down a thick mat O' foam. I still use a two bucket soap/rinse system and the foamer as I wash. It really eliminates the wash induced swirls.
yeah i do the two bucket thing as well.No scratches on my car!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So Jim, does that stuff actually lift mm thick layers of winter grime and salt with no scrubbing? I'm getting tired of wash mitts that turn black with the first swipe. Is this a solution for east coast people who actually encounter real dirt?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the reviews here and elsewhere .... I ordered one from here in Canada ---> e-shine

The price is in CDN $$$ .... makes it cheaper than ordering it from "down south".
Old 04-02-2007, 04:33 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Jon: Sorry for the lag in my reply, but to answer what I'm assuming is about the solution not the gun: 'Seems to. That coal dust mix they use up by you is certainly more nasty than what we get 100mi South.

I think the difference between using the same soaps w/or w/o the foamer is the foamer lays down soooo much more soap ..lasting on the surface soooo much longer than I can apply simply dipping a mitt in a bucket. The foamer also works with a much higher concentration of solution than is practical in a bucket.

I haven't tried to powerwash after foaming to elimininate the mitt but I suspect you'd still need to use the mitt. If this was that good; you'd have spray-only car washes already.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:17 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra06
Probably one of the best for use with the foam gun (DP Xtreme foam)

For really dirty paintwork (or for use by an OCD) use a pre-wash solution Stage One Prewash-http://www.stratmosphere.com/STAGE/index.htm and then DP Xtreme foam
Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That Stage One looks interesting. But would it hurt to actually give a bit of information about what it is?

Here's their "How Does It Work?" page. Seems to be missing any details about HOW IT WORKS!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New toy: a Foamer...