Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 704 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Now I really did it.....upset the Meguiar's Community

I was told about this thread on Meguiar's site by a client/friend: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...t=17561&page=2 I guess I'm not thought of very highly by Meguiar's and their community. That's probably why they wouldn't return my calls when I had technical questions about their polishes. The thread has good info and some missinformations too. What I got a kick out of was this guy's comment:

Why am I not suprised that Porsche owners are misinformed?

I was fortunate enough to get a V.I.P. tour of the Porsche factory and museum in Stuttgart back in 1987 conducted by the head of public relations (I was finishing up my MBA).

Walking through the museum, the P. R. Director asked what model Porsche I owned. I guess she was impressed with my Porsche knowledge and since I was living in Southern California (home to 50% of all registered Porsches), presumed I drove one. I replied that I didn't own one.

She asked why, and I told her frankly that I didn't care to be associated with most Porsche owners (in my opinion, members of the more money than brains club - example: 75% of the original 930 Turbos sold by Hermosa Beach dealer Vasek Polak came back with rear end damage after flying off mountain roads). She smiled and nodded.

Anyhow, I don't want to start up the whole discussion again, but I also don't want to walk away from a challenge. I DO know inside info about Meguiar's through VERY reputable sources. I actually use Meguiar's and think they make some good products; that's the funny part. You guys think I should go on the Meguiar's forum and have a spirited discussion or just leave it be?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha! At the moment this is what I get from the Meguiar's website forum:

vBulletin Message
Sorry, Meguiar's Online is down for a few moments while we take care of a Spammer.

Never seen something like that before. As for this nut job on the forum, should come and meet me. He can see my more money than brains lifestyle.

I say engage in conversation with the person on the forum just to see what else they think about us Porsche owners who have money to toss around but no brains to back it up. If it starts to get heated just back off and forget about it. Too many people lately have been getting all hell bent on car related forums because of this vs. that type crap.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:28 PM
EdC
Pro

Why bother?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EdC
Why bother?
I agree...
Old 01-24-2007, 08:25 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked it out. There's a redneck with an F150 and a pony that thinks Porsche owners can't drive, think blah blah...
This guy only wantches the cars that turn left. It's not worth our time.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Yeah, saw that guy - the nerve
Old 01-25-2007, 02:26 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey MoeMistry, you've upset Porsche owners as well.

You have aired your personal opinions as fact regarding Meguiar's products, and that's always a dangerous path to take.

Not sure why you feel you have to pursue it further.

Not classy and not professional.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EdC
Why bother?
When a knowledgeable person argues with a fool there is never a worthwhile outcome. Don’t demean yourself by giving them creditability.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Hey MoeMistry, you've upset Porsche owners as well.

You have aired your personal opinions as fact regarding Meguiar's products, and that's always a dangerous path to take.

Not sure why you feel you have to pursue it further.

Not classy and not professional.
Here are some facts for ya.....

http://www.standoxna.com/bowstreet5/...scratches.html

Read Solution

http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/enthusiast.htm

Read third paragraph

OH....usually manuals from the manufacturers will tell you how to care for the finish and it usually states avoiding petrochemicals. Hope those are solid enough facts for you.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TOGWT
When a knowledgeable person argues with a fool there is never a worthwhile outcome. Don’t demean yourself by giving them creditability.
Thanks....I think I'd be opening a can of worms if I did decide to have a spirited dispute. Some people just don't get it.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

This is exactly what gets people upset.

This statement:

(When you are ready to wax, do not use silicone containing or super polymer containing waxes or polishes) Today's finishes do not need such extreme protection and if your vehicle were involved in an accident, the removal of such waxes would be time consuming and expensive.
1) Points out that waxes containing silicone or super polymer give 'extreme' protection.

2) That removal of these waxes would be time consuming and expensive.

Since the 50's, body shops have learned how to avoid the fisheye issues with silicones in waxes, and all body shops now prep panels for paint assuming that such waxes have been used.

It's a complete non issue for any pro body shop - fisheye is no longer a problem.

The DuPont website would appear to confirm that silicon containing waxes provide 'extreme' protection - and this could be interpreted as a higher level of protection.

You have in past posts asserted that products contained these silicones, stated that this is the reason not to use them, and have put forward other manufacturers FUD that their products are therefore superior because they do not contain such silicones.

Sales 101: You can highlight the unique selling points and perceived benefits of your chosen product(s) but you should never try and trash the oppositions products.

As a pro, I'd expect you to know that.

It's not classy, and it gets people unnecessarily upset - you've proved that already!

I have a problem with people (not just you) that set them selves up as a 'resident Pro' on a forum, and then abuse that position to trash products and companies with statements like this:

Meguair's, and other mediocre companies that only care about getting your money....
That's where you stepped over the line - what ever the chemistry behind the products.

Take a look at TOGWT - he sticks to the facts, and I can respect that, even if I disagree with some of the conclusions sometimes.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think for the sake of everyone on this forum I will keep a gentleman's silence. If you're ever in SoCal cdokin, look me up and we can chat. This isn't about sales, bashing the competition, etc. It's my philosophy on detailing and everyone seems to respect that. I'm not sure what you do for a living, but I put food on the table with detailing...it's not a weekend hobby for me. As a result of this forum I've switched to Lake Country, Menzerna, and looking into Optimum. If this isn't unbiased and striving for the best, then what is?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:39 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Then do it without bashing products and companies, and you'll avoid upsetting whole groups of the car owning population in the process.

You said it yourself, your approach has probably shut a door at Meguiar's and you no longer have direct access to potentially useful information.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On a lighter note I have been using Optimum products and have been not only please but blown away by the results. I am just a weekend detailer for my two cars though. I am just learning how to use my orbital, etc, but out of all the crap I have tried so far Optimum seems to be the best bang for buck.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:28 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Optimum No Rinse is unreal isn't it? What a time saver. Have you tried the Poly Seal yet?

Quick Reply: Now I really did it.....upset the Meguiar's Community