Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Moe, your comments are somewhat contradictory.

You say that the NXT product doesn't last because it's silicon based, and will be gone after a few washes.

You then say that the problem with Silicon is that it hangs around, gets into the paint long term, and causes problems.

I completely understand that silicon requires removal before a body shop can apply new paint, and this is where the 'issues' with silicon tale got started.

But that particular issue has been dealt with for many years now, and a good body shop has no issues removing silicon prior to bodyshop work.

Do you have the same issues with Arcylics? Just curious....
I mentioned NXT doesn't last because it contains poor quality ingredients compared to other synthetics like Einzette, Klasse, etc. The silicone part is another issue dealing with prolonged use. I understand there are different silicones and their molecular size plays a role in how harmful they are. I'm just saying if you are going the synthetic route, use a good quality synthetic that probably won't cost much more. The best way I can put it is you going to a doctor. He prescribes you Nexium and you say "doc, I read this nice article about Pepto Bismol, I think I'm going to use it instead". I'm just saying take advice from a pro and not the manufacturer. I have to be careful here though. You want to take advice from a pro that isn't biased towards a product because he's got an in with the manufacturer. As I mentioned before, my company could be 10 times bigger than what it is right now if I only took some of the offers I've been given by the "big boys". I'd rather grow slowly but know my clients will always trust in me and my work.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boostfix
I just got my first Porsche 2 weeks ago....I am in the process of learning how to things right so that I can properly care for my car. One of the areas that I will enjoy is detailing but only if I know that I am doing it right while saving as much money and time as I can. The biggest point for me doing this "research" before product to car.....I don't want to use the wrong product. So I really appreciate the dialogue on this forum and in the short time that I have been reading this board, I have come to realize that Moe and Anthony give great advice on effective car care. Thanks guys - you will be saving me from learning about things the hard way.
It's my pleasure. I'm looking out for enthusiasts like you because unless you buy every wax and polish and product out there, how do you know what's the best for your application? You simply want to enjoy caring for your car correctly and efficiently; that's the advice we try and give. Thanks for the support.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
I now carry 1 compound and 1 polish. These two have replaced at least 6 other products.

Same goes for wax. I used to carry 2 sealants and 4 different tubs of paste wax. I now carry 2 waxes, one spray wax and one "One -Step".
Anthony,

Would you mind telling me:

1) Which Compound you Carry?
2) Which Polish you Carry?
3) Which "One-Step" Wax you Carry?

I assume the "spray-wax" you carry is OCW, and I also am going to assume your compound and polish of choice are Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish. Finally, is the "one-step" Optimum Poli-Seal? However, I just wanted to make sure that my assumptions are correct and Im not just thinking that all your work (which is breath-taking) is done with the products that you arent really using.

Thanks very much in advance.

-Richard
Old 12-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Richard,

Your assumptions are correct!

The new Poli-Seal is just amazing stuff. I have been using it now for some time as I tested the stuff out and it continues to impress me each time I use it.

If you're looking for a nice "maintenance" wax then OCW is perfect but if you have some light marring and wish to remove it (not hide it) the Poli-seal is really causing a stir among pros and enthusiasts alike as their "go to" product.

So a typical detail may go like this:

Initial correction step - Optimum Polish
Sealing and secondary polish step - PoliSeal
Maintaining after every other wash - OCW

Then about every 6 months go over the paint with the PoliSeal again.

Anthony

PS - Thank you for the compliments regarding my work.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MoeMistry Quote: I have a vested interest in making sure my clients are educated…..” Well said

There are many silicones but the one that effect most detailers are-

a) Water based dressings- Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS) is usually a milky-white liquid that does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tyres / vinyl from cracking, fading and hardening(Zaino Z-16Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ is a non-oily, rubber and exterior vinyl finishing treatment) Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable whereas Silicone is not.

b) Silicone-based dressings- usually a clear greasy liquid that contains petroleum distillates (Dimethal Silicones (DMS) they are migratory, entering into the substrate (resin binder system) and being oil they will slowly break down the polymer substrate which is also derived from hydrocarbons. They release the plastizers from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface.

Just a dumb architect, so I question everything
Old 12-08-2006, 10:59 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I just tried Meguiar's after many years of using Griot's products. I thought I had myself convinced to trying Zaino, but spent a bunch of time over on Meguiar's Forum doing research, ended up trying their products. The Meguiar's user forum is extremely active and proved to be an outstanding resource(for me) and IMHO is an OUTSTANDING resource!!! Anyway........
Here's my car after 1-coat of Scratch-X, 1-coat of Deep Cyrstal Polish(both applied w/DA), 2-coats of NXT, topped with 1-coat of Deep Crystal Carnauba(applied w/DA). I'm happy with it, much more gloss than w/Griot's. Looks richer & deeper too. Just my 2 cents.....
Attached Images     
Old 12-08-2006, 12:23 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mwc951, you're in trouble now!

NXT is a banned substance on this forum it seems - you are destroying the paintwork on your car

Nice shine though

Chris.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
NXT is a banned substance on this forum it seems - you are destroying the paintwork on your car
Thanks Chris. I'll risk it with the NXT. I know what you mean about being banned!
I certainly feel like a proletariat over on the 951 board. It's starting to feel the same over here.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwc951
Thanks Chris. I'll risk it with the NXT. I know what you mean about being banned!
I certainly feel like a proletariat over on the 951 board. It's starting to feel the same over here.
amen to the comment about the 951 board.
Let me add about this thread...
There are numerous ways to skin a cat. Healthy debate isn't a problem, and should be encouraged. The top line car care products are somewhat more expensive than off the shelf brands and are also less accessable to the regular guy, therefore off the shelf brands will get used and questions will get asked etc. That's what the forum is for, obviously.
I for one am awfully thankful to the experts that use their valuable time here, for free I might add, to give us the professional's take on the actual, rather than marketed, quality of various products.
At the end of the day, if you ask a question, you will get an answer, or even many, but its your car and your cash. If one chooses to ignore one source for another, there is no room for blame on anyone but the end user. It seems to me that lots of different people are having lots of success with an almost unlimited combo of products...and that's really informative to everyone. Thanks for keeping this board "all growed up". It's refreshing.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:05 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TOGWT
MoeMistry Quote: I have a vested interest in making sure my clients are educated…..” Well said

There are many silicones but the one that effect most detailers are-

a) Water based dressings- Polydimethylsiloxane (PDS) is usually a milky-white liquid that does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tyres / vinyl from cracking, fading and hardening(Zaino Z-16Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ is a non-oily, rubber and exterior vinyl finishing treatment) Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable whereas Silicone is not.

b) Silicone-based dressings- usually a clear greasy liquid that contains petroleum distillates (Dimethal Silicones (DMS) they are migratory, entering into the substrate (resin binder system) and being oil they will slowly break down the polymer substrate which is also derived from hydrocarbons. They release the plastizers from vinyl, rubber and paint; causing them to evaporate out of the substrate, leaving behind a dry inflexible surface.

Just a dumb architect, so I question everything
Leave to an architecht to answer detailing questions Thank you very much for that input. I just learned some information to pass along. My technical side comes from the fact I graduated with an accounting degree and should have been a CPA. That why I'm the most **** and technical SOB out there. I had a client show me his new wheels on Saturday and my response " those wheels look amazing. Did you forget the tire dressing?". I guess it goes with the territory.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ehall
amen to the comment about the 951 board.
Let me add about this thread...
There are numerous ways to skin a cat. Healthy debate isn't a problem, and should be encouraged. The top line car care products are somewhat more expensive than off the shelf brands and are also less accessable to the regular guy, therefore off the shelf brands will get used and questions will get asked etc. That's what the forum is for, obviously.
I for one am awfully thankful to the experts that use their valuable time here, for free I might add, to give us the professional's take on the actual, rather than marketed, quality of various products.
At the end of the day, if you ask a question, you will get an answer, or even many, but its your car and your cash. If one chooses to ignore one source for another, there is no room for blame on anyone but the end user. It seems to me that lots of different people are having lots of success with an almost unlimited combo of products...and that's really informative to everyone. Thanks for keeping this board "all growed up". It's refreshing.
NICELY SAID!!!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mwc951
I just tried Meguiar's after many years of using Griot's products. I thought I had myself convinced to trying Zaino, but spent a bunch of time over on Meguiar's Forum doing research, ended up trying their products. The Meguiar's user forum is extremely active and proved to be an outstanding resource(for me) and IMHO is an OUTSTANDING resource!!! Anyway........
Here's my car after 1-coat of Scratch-X, 1-coat of Deep Cyrstal Polish(both applied w/DA), 2-coats of NXT, topped with 1-coat of Deep Crystal Carnauba(applied w/DA). I'm happy with it, much more gloss than w/Griot's. Looks richer & deeper too. Just my 2 cents.....
Your car does look good. Do whatever works for you
Old 12-12-2006, 06:52 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Leave to an architecht to answer detailing questions Thank you very much for that input. I just learned some information to pass along. My technical side comes from the fact I graduated with an accounting degree and should have been a CPA. That why I'm the most **** and technical SOB out there. I had a client show me his new wheels on Saturday and my response " those wheels look amazing. Did you forget the tire dressing?". I guess it goes with the territory.
Justadumbarchitect-my backround; car detailing (semi-professional)five decades, Concours show judge (Jaguars) ten years, writing car care (detailing) product application instructions approx five years, and writing a detailing A-Z four years. Irelevent quals Architectural Engineer, Chemical Engineer, 30 years Oil & gas industry

Knowledge; [ability to correctly diagnosis problems] [utilizing appropriate methods / products to solve them]
Old 12-12-2006, 11:27 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The obvious problem with products like NXT is that the end-user usually thinks because it has an awsome shine, it's working wonders. Problem is, nothing in life is easy as pie if you're doing it properly. Good things take time. The shine comes from the silicone; we all know that. The problem though isn't the fact it won't last more than a wash or two. The problem is silicone impregnation over long period of use. Most pros know this, but silicone isn't a very "smart" solvent. By that I mean, it doesn't know when to stop working. So over time, it will actually penetrate the clear and begin going into the pigment. So over time you'll notice areas where the color is off and you cannot polish it off. Then it's too late. So think about a new paint job the next time you pick up a bottle of wax that takes 10 minutes to apply but looks like you spent hours.
A clear coat is not armor plating, a polyurethane paint (high solid clear coats) can absorb moisture; as water molecules are smaller than a cross-linked clear coats molecule. So be careful of the contents in car wash concentrates, polishes, sealant and waxes (i.e. low pH acids, high pH alkaline, Dimethal (DMS) silicones, solvents that contain butyl, heptanes, xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:50 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, would this Optimum Poli-Seal replace my two-step process of:

1) 3M Imperial Glaze
2) Rejex

??

Quick Reply: Meguiar's NXT