Notices

Streaks on dark paint after waxing - wax? technique?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:28 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Streaks on dark paint after waxing - wax? technique?

I have an Atlas Grey car and it seems that no matter how hard I try there are always a few noticeable waxy streaks that remain after I detail the car. They are not visible from most angles, especially in the shade. Usually I have to pull the car out in the sun to see the faint streaks and again they're only visible from some angles. I'm fairly confident it is from the wax stage because they are not present after washing, and they are not present after I used Meguire's cleaner wax. The subtle streaks appear after using any of the following: P21S wax, Pinnacle Souveran wax, and Klasse AIO. I use 3 MF waffle weave towels to dry car, and good quality MF to remove wax (usually one MF towel per panel since I want to be certain I'm not smearing the wax around).

Some have suggested that I try Poorboy Natty's Blue Paste wax.

Anyone?
Help!

-Aaron
Old 11-05-2006, 03:17 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Try using a quick detailer to see if it removes the streaks?

Another thought is why use three good waxes......sometimes the blends won't work well with each other.....especially sealants and carnubas (is Klasse a sealant?) try this: Pick one and use three coats of it.....should help with the problem? or try a mild cleaner like P21 paintwork cleanser...followed by two coats of the P21.....
Old 11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

The AIO may be the culprit unless you're sealing it with the sealant glaze. Carnuba topping on AIO sometimes causes the streaks, which I assume are more of a different color to some portions?

As Iceman noted, P21S cleaner, then the P21S wax should be all right. Also, you may be using too much product? Thin coats are better and if you do have stubborn areas of product that you can't seem to remove easily, try spraying some distilled water on the area, then buff it off.

HTH
Old 11-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many times they are oils that are left over from the wax-and they can be removed by washing the car when you're done waxing, or using a quick detailer. You didn't mention whether you're doing your detailing with a polisher or by hand, but by hand it can be difficult to work the products enough to get the oils to work into the paint. I tend to get streaks when I use carnuba over a synthetic (which I like to do to warm up my single stage paint). time will also get rid of them, as the oils will dissapate.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I have an Atlas Grey car and it seems that no matter how hard I try there are always a few noticeable waxy streaks that remain after I detail the car. They are not visible from most angles, especially in the shade. Usually I have to pull the car out in the sun to see the faint streaks and again they're only visible from some angles. I'm fairly confident it is from the wax stage because they are not present after washing, and they are not present after I used Meguire's cleaner wax. The subtle streaks appear after using any of the following: P21S wax, Pinnacle Souveran wax, and Klasse AIO. I use 3 MF waffle weave towels to dry car, and good quality MF to remove wax (usually one MF towel per panel since I want to be certain I'm not smearing the wax around).

Some have suggested that I try Poorboy Natty's Blue Paste wax.

Anyone?
Help!
-Aaron

Several things pop into my head....

1) You're using too much wax. You should not even be able to see any wax on the foam applicator. Apply a very thin coat, if you can see it it's too much.

2) You may have your towels contaminated with some type or sort of fabric softner, either in the wash or in the dryer.

3) Wipe on and wipe off. If the layer is thin enough there is no need to wait for the "haze" to show up.

4) If you apply a glaze down first and then waxing this may be causing your problem. If you must use a glaze then wait several hours after glazing to apply the paste wax.

5) As already noted, stick with one wax and going from AIO to paste, back to paste and then AIO may cause issues.

6) I have had cars streak on me in the past but these have been mostly single stage paints which can be very finicky. Usually a spritz with some distilled water or a quick detailer does the trick.

Hope that helps,
Anthony
Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the helpful responses.

My initial post was misleading - I don't use all 3 in one detailing session. I use the Klasse AIO about once every 4 mos. and then put carnuba on top of that. The AIO stays for awhile (so I'm told) and that might be why it is tougher to remove carnuba that I would apply on top of it.

My car never sees rain so it's just the sunlight and heat that are factors here. For some reason I think this has the effect of making the streaks more apparent as time goes by. Is this from the carnuba burning off and leaving something behind?

I'm waxing by hand so that factor plus the others makes me think I'm using too much wax. I'll figure it out. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:42 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Since you are waxing by hand it is possible that you are putting too thick of a coat on.....thin, thin, thin is what you want......3 thin coats are WAY better than 1 thick one (& much easier to remove too)...consider getting a random orbit buffer like a Porter Cable or a Cyclo (best).....it will save time and effort and make the car look way better!

Quick Reply: Streaks on dark paint after waxing - wax? technique?