Notices

More Paint Guru assistance needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question More Paint Guru assistance needed please!

As I wait for the paint to cure on my 993's freshly painted hood and bumper cover I was wondering if the Mcguires spray bottle of detailer has any silicones or other chemicals in it that may be detrimental to the paint during its outgassing or curing period? I plan to use a microfiber towel for this and could use water but I was just wondering if anyone knows the composition of the McGuires stuff.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

......use is for "de-bugging" purposes of course.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
As I wait for the paint to cure on my 993's freshly painted hood and bumper cover I was wondering if the Mcguires spray bottle of detailer has any silicones or other chemicals in it that may be detrimental to the paint during its outgassing or curing period? I plan to use a microfiber towel for this and could use water but I was just wondering if anyone knows the composition of the McGuires stuff.
The only Meguiar's spray that doesn't have silicone is Final Inspection.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks MM, I figured as much. Will go with plain water for minor de-bugging and my power washer for carwash days. Incidentally, do you happen to know if the McGuire's stuff that I most probably am using would remove Rejex? I've been using that for protecting the paint of late. I plan to clay the car in the near future and may go with Zaino products given their reputation. I'm not sure why I even bother with the spray bottle for touch-ups between washes since microfiber towels never seem to fully absorb the liquid, I'm probably just moving the dirt around on the paint and in the end the finish shows streaks until a proper wash anyway.

Looks like the paint shop did not bake on the paint so I'm going to be stuck with a long curing time. Its funny how slow I go on the freeway to keep from being close behind other cars and trying to avoid paint chip possibilities.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all silicones are of the harmful type. What you want to look for products that state "Body Shop Safe". Yet even these products may contain silicones but they are of the SAFE type, usually water-borne.

Not many body shops "oven bake" a refinish because it would harm the other materials on the car, such as rubber and trim. Most refinishes are placed in a room with heat lamps for a spell then taken outside to dry. Todays waterbased paints outgas fairly quickly.

A repainted panel can be waxed within hours as long as your wax contains no harsh solvents. The paint will still gas out through the wax layer.

Anthony
Old 10-20-2006, 05:35 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I believe the paint is from Dupont. I actually got the warranty information pamphlet from the body shop yesterday but have not read it yet. It did state 120 days before waxing however but I haven't any idea if that is for "baked" or not. The shop owner said what you said about other parts having trouble if they are subjected to too much heat. I'm pretty sure they never removed my hood to paint it but did remove the bumper cover. In any event if the manufacturer of the paint is suggesting 120 days there must be a valid reason. Thats what I really need to find out. Hopefully the number of days is high because they are accounting for all possible climates. I suspect S.Cal's weather/climate may help reduce/speed up the curing time.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hardly a Paint Guru (more of a dumb Architect )

Applied after polishing, a glaze is the make-up that hides flaws and gives paint the sheen it had in the showroom. The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine (to produce a high shine) amino-functional mineral oils, solvent, and mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, they exclude silicone and wax, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ or polymer type product, Zanio Z Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) allow an ‘initial gas off’ (evaporate) / aerobic process of 7 days before application. These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in an oil-based paint outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface. After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax. (See also Notes below)

Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid it) Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid car wash concentrates that contain any harsh detergents, alkali, acids or wax (recommended products- Zaino Z-7™ Show Car Wash, Groit’s Car Wash) also avoid car washes that uses a high-pressure spray or wax or harsh

{Knowledge; don't ever stop learning; [always keeping an open mind]

Quick Reply: More Paint Guru assistance needed please!