Notices

PC Buffer v. Griot's

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM
iman11348
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC Buffer v. Griot's

Anybo!dy have an opinion of whether or not there is a significant difference between the PC Buffer and the one sold by Griot's? I can buy the Griot's locally but would probably have to order a PC (can't find a local store that sells it).
I'm new to this stuff but have a black 01 996 that has a lot of swirls
Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

You can also try this site: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm You get the whole package. Great deal. I'm not 100% positive, but I know for sure the PC and Meguiar's verson are identical; as for the Griot's, it's safe to say it's the same as well...not 100% sure.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PC 7424 is the same as the Meguiar's G100, but the G100 has a lifetime warranty, the PC 7424 only has 1 year. I've never tried the griot's garage polisher.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
You can also try this site: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm You get the whole package. Great deal. I'm not 100% positive, but I know for sure the PC and Meguiar's verson are identical; as for the Griot's, it's safe to say it's the same as well...not 100% sure.
Looking at the photos of the Griots unit and reading the description, it appears to be significantly different than the PC. I am also trying to decide which one to get. Surely someone on this board has tried the Griots, input???
Old 10-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Buford
Track Day

Griot's recently sent me a free copy of their DVD on their machine polish system. I think it' the same DVD they usually sell for $9.99. I'm not sure how I requested it, but I thought it was over the web when I requested a catalog (you might want to call them, and ask if they still offer the free DVD).

I'm not sure if I am ready to give up waxing by hand. But, if I were, their Random Orbital polisher would probably be the way I'd go. The DVD makes a strong case for their product.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

This is from Griots site describing their polisher.

The problem with the old way of using wool or cotton pads and non-orbital (straight drive) polishers is that the cutting action was so great that it produced its own heat and swirl marks, burned through the color coat, and damaged the paint.
Actually foam pads generate more heat BUT this is with a high speed rotary. Using wool with a random orbit machine is foolish at best because it will mar the paint something awful.

What Griot's does here though in their description which I feel is in error is they use scare tactics about the high speed rotary. The way they state it the rotary will ALWAYS swirl your paint, burn it and damage the paint. This though is nonsense. Sure a rotary can do alot of damage in the wrong hands but in the right hands the results are amazing.

A random orbit machine can only remove light swirls (I am speaking of buffer halograms not halo-scratches), for medium to heavy buffer swirls you'll need a rotary. To remove heavy scratches you'll need a rotary.

Our specially engineered Foam Pads, unique Machine Polishes and the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Machine! The problem with other machine polishes is that they have been formulated for non-orbiting machines and are made to work under high heat conditions. With our polishes, the first thing you'll notice is how cool the paint remains
First, I highly doubt that the foam used in the Griot pads are any different from Lake Country, 3M, Valu-Gard or American Buffing. It may even be that one of these companies makes their pads and they private label.

Second, I would state that 98% of all polishes can be used with a random orbit machine and they work just fine, the same or better than Griots polishes. Polishes used or designed for "high heat" would be products designed mainly for the professional detailer/body shop. Most polishes sold in auto stores are designed for use by hand or orbital and have the consumer in mind. You won't find many pro products in these auto stores.

Also, the reason the paint stays cool is NOT because of the "unique" polish formulation but because a random orbit machine does not generate alot of heat and friction. You could place just about any polish on a random orbit machine and get the same "cool" results that Griot's claims.

Now I know this is about selling, marketing hype and all, and the machine, I am sure, works well but one doesn't need Griots pads and polishes to be used exclusively with their polisher.

Anthony
Old 10-09-2006, 01:15 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Thanks for the insight Anthony. I couldn't have said it better myself. As I mentioned, you can get the Meguiar's G100 polisher, same as Porter, for a great price. And it's got a lifetime warranty.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

I received information from Griots, and the representative said they made their machine with a larger motor, more torque, better bearings and ventilation and it runs at a higher opm speed than the PC. They also have a lifetime replacement policy, and the price is about $20 less. It seems to me to be a good deal, I think I will try it.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Buford
Track Day

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
This is from Griots site describing their polisher.

Anthony
I'm not going to get into a debate with you about it. But, it sounds like you haven't seen their DVD on the machine. As I said in my earlier post, I think there is a way to get one free (give them a call and ask about that). Before you lamb baste the thing, at least watch their infomercial. It provides more information than their sales text; plus, you can see the results (maybe it's camera trickery, but I seriously doubt that).

As for me, I think cars are small enough that it's silly to use any machine like that. If the Queen Mary was in my garage, I might shop for a polishing machine.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

They are sending me the DVD.
As for the size of the car, it looks to me that the machine can do a better job than by hand. I could be wrong however. I know a lot of people enjoy polishing and detailing, however I am not one that enjoys that process, so I plan to use the machine to speed up the process, and still get excellent results.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Buford
I'm not going to get into a debate with you about it. But, it sounds like you haven't seen their DVD on the machine. As I said in my earlier post, I think there is a way to get one free (give them a call and ask about that). Before you lamb baste the thing, at least watch their infomercial. It provides more information than their sales text; plus, you can see the results (maybe it's camera trickery, but I seriously doubt that).

As for me, I think cars are small enough that it's silly to use any machine like that. If the Queen Mary was in my garage, I might shop for a polishing machine.
My remarks were not against the polisher but rather their claim that Griots polishes are designed for their polisher. This is stated in such a way for one to think that they MUST buy Griots polishes for use with their polisher.

I also stated that the polisher may be a fine machine.

Now I know this is about selling, marketing hype and all, and the machine, I am sure, works well but one doesn't need Griots pads and polishes to be used exclusively with their polisher.
Anthony
Old 10-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Buford
Track Day

My remarks were not against the polisher but rather their claim that Griots polishes are designed for their polisher.
My apologies, I guess I read more into it than that. I haven't used their products in a long time, but I remember them working very well; and I'm sure you'd agree that that's what it boils down to.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

My apologies, I guess I read more into it than that. I haven't used their products in a long time, but I remember them working very well; and I'm sure you'd agree that that's what it boils down to.
No problem

It all boils down to what ever the end user wants to use. It could be a $5 bottle of "Fred's Wax" or a $100.00 tub of some boutique paste wax.

I am just seeking to clarify a few things for those asking.

Take care,
Anthony
Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Buford
Track Day

It all boils down to what ever the end user wants to use.
Absolutely!

I know it's heresy to say what I am about to say; but I find it sort of amusing, so I'll blurt it out anyway. I use Turtle Wax on my mini-van, the old Miata, and the wife's sedan. I wash all three with generic dish soap. Their insides all get wiped down with Son of a Gun (the one with Richard Petty on the bottle). Wheels are cleaned with something from Armor All. Windows are cleaned with newspaper and Windex. All of the things I use to clean those cars (including the wash mitt and chamois) can be purchased at a grocery store. Amazingly, all three of those vehicles look great (well, the Miata has been in need of a new paint job for years).

When I add another Porsche to the fleet, it will get better attention than the existing three. I know that the products and methods I've been using are pedestrian, but the results are commensurate with the cars I'm using them on. That is not to say they are bad, it's just not how I will take care of the new Porsche.

Having said all that, I do sometimes find myself wondering how much of a scam some of the high-end car care products might be. How much better would Griot's Window Cleaner be than Windex and newspaper? I'll spend the $5 and order the Griot's stuff just out of curiosity (and, just in case I'm wrong). Griot's also sells a Short Handle Synthetic Cleaning Brush (#92515) that looks identical (except for the color) to one I found in Wal-Mart for less than half the price. There are lots of examples of things like that. Sometimes, it's like looking through one of those in-flight catalogs ("hmmm... how did my dog survive this long without heated socks?").

Sorry for getting all verbose on a Monday night... didn't mean to hijack the thread!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Having said all that, I do sometimes find myself wondering how much of a scam some of the high-end car care products might be.
I gotta agree with this too... I too might get booted out of here for saying stuff like this...but...

I just can't see the point to these 40 step cleaning, polishing, waxing, sealing, rewaxing, resealing, blah blah blah product lines that take nearly an entire weekend to polish and wax a tiny car like a 911. If you can't "get 'er done" in 2-3 steps, your paint must be near shot...or it's not being maintained well enough.

I'd have customers shoot me if I had to use the 40 step process to detail cars, minivans and trucks. I'd never get anything done, have no margin in what I'm charging and they'd be pissed to have to wait for a car that long.

I think Anthony's excellent before and after pics that we've all seen here on this board prove that simple, but effective products really do give good results if you know what you are doing. As an amature concours judge, I've seen guys/gals win serious national level concours trophies from just 3M Hand Glaze and P21S wax as proof that you don't always need the ultra high priced stuff to have a decent looking car.

I like some of Griots products (that interior cleaner he has is the s**t) and I'm very positive he's selling good stuff. But, that shiny catalog that I get every month from him ain't cheap to print and I'm sure he's makin' good margins on that expensive stuff.

Quick Reply: PC Buffer v. Griot's