Notices

discoloration of my hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Oscar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discoloration of my hood

This is a repost of a thread that I originally posted on the 964 board.

Has anyone experienced discoloration of their paint caused by a bra. I purchased a Colgan bra for when I did DE and otherwise left it off. I left just the hood piece on for several weeks because my front end was getting beat up from the daily commute (Chicago streets are always under construction) and when I finally took it off I discovered to my horror that there is discoloration from the front tip of the hood to about half way up where the bra covered. During the day, my car is parked in a garage so it only sees direct sunlight when I'm driving it. Car is 1999 Arctic Silver 996 and it looks awful.

Has anyone had a similar problem? if so, did the discoloration eventually fade? Am I looking at a new paint job? Needless to say I'm not using the bra anymore.

I've tried wash and was, polishing compound so far with no success. Next is clay and if that doesn't work, probably repaint.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Hey Oscar,

Paint bras, of the fabric type, are bad news as you now know.

I can also tell you right now that a clay bar will do nothing for this issue either.

Did any moisture get trapped under the bra? Like from wahsing or from a rain?

Is the hood piece OEM factory paint or is it a respray?

Also, did you have any type of sealer on the paint, like Zaino or other?

Get back with me on those and I'll try and help youout with a solution....also if you can post up any pictures that would help.

Anthony
Old 09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Oscar
Instructor

Anthony,

The bra is a Colgan fabric bra and it was on the car for several weeks and the car got wet several times during the course of that time. The paint on the car is factory and does not have any sealer on it. I will try to take some pics when I can get to the car during the day.

thanks for your help.

Oscar
Old 09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
bnewport
Racer

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me, exact same problem.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Oscar
Instructor

I took my car to a local body shop who does quite a bit of work for the Porsche dealers in the Chicagoland area and he says that the hood was once retouched (I am the 2nd owner) and that only the front section of the hood was repainted. Moisture got trapped underneath the black bra and it got sucked into the paint in the retouched area from the heat. I have some stone chips in that section as well and I can see that the paint flakes around the edges whereas it does not in the other area.

So the bra goes back on the hood for now and I will be repainting the entire hood and nose this winter.

thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: discoloration of my hood