Notices

Probs w/ 3M IHG

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:52 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probs w/ 3M IHG - Solved by using is correctly

I have a black, single stage paint and use a PC 7424 with 3Ms fine cut, polish, and Hand Glaze. Finish with P21S.

If I go straight from the polish to the wax, everything is fine. But if I apply the HG between the polish and wax I've been having problems. I have a hard time removing the HG and the finish is cloudy like someone spilled milk on the paint.

Is there a specific waiting period between the four stages (i.e., compound, polish, glaze, and wax)? Or is the polish not compatible with IHG?

Last edited by tomcat; 09-15-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:43 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you remove all the old wax first before IHG ? Suggest first remove all old wax especially on black, then clay, HG, polish and wax.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would ditch the IHG and just concentrate on the polishing aspect. If your polishing step is done well enough the IHG won't make much of a difference.

I hate using any type of a glaze as they are way more of a pain than they are a help. They leave behind alot of oils that interfer with wax and polymers bonding.

If you feel you must use a glaze than apply it very thin, buff well and let it sit for several hours and then wax.

Anthony
Old 09-01-2006, 10:48 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

I'm going to ask an obvious question.. You are applying the IHG by hand right? My experience is that stuff needs to go on and come off in short order... I only use it once maybe twice a year.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the responses - you guys are quicker (response-wise) than I thought.

Originally Posted by mo
Do you remove all the old wax first before IHG ?
Always. Not my daily driver so it's garaged. Always use Dawn until the water stops beading if I am going to polish and wax. BTW, polish before glaze?

Originally Posted by kabel_Boxster
You are applying the IHG by hand right?
No, using the PC. Maybe I buff the glaze too long? With the trouble I had taking it off, I wasn't going to consider doing it by hand. Maybe I should to see if it will make a difference.

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
I would ditch the IHG and just concentrate on the polishing aspect. If your polishing step is done well enough the IHG won't make much of a difference.
I think you might be right about the glaze. My paint is in really good condition for being 21 years old and it would shine better than most with just a wash. I usually finish one panel with the glaze and get fed up and just apply wax on the rest of the car. But I'm dying to see if the glaze really makes a difference when applied correctly.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:45 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Default Now a believer

I finally has success with the 3M Hand Glaze. After color sanding paint chips and scratches, compounding and 3M machine polish I decided to use the Hand Glaze. This time I put it on by hand and wiped off. Very time consuming but worked great. IHG seems to be very temp sensative. I started with the polish and hand glaze after returning from an alignment - and washing the car with cold water. Hand Glaze came off easily except where the hood was still moderately warm. You could see the stuff harden as you put it on. My PC probably heated the IHG too much when I tried it before.

P21S went on and off w/o any problems. Gonna put another coat of wax on tomorrow. I could see the black get darker after each stage: Mcguire's Scratch-X (for micro scratches after compounding), 3M Machine Polish, IHG, and P21S.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Thats why I only use the IHG once maybe twice a year, a real PIA but the results are gratifying.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kabel_Boxster
Thats why I only use the IHG once maybe twice a year, a real PIA but the results are gratifying.
I started applying it by hand - since they call hand glaze. I felt like I was giving it a massage.

Quick Reply: Probs w/ 3M IHG