Notices

Dupont Teflon Car Wax - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:03 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dupont Teflon Car Wax - opinions?

I bought a bottle of Teflon Car Wax - made by DuPont

On the bottle it says the following:

"For a shine that really lasts"
"The only car wax with Teflon surface protectors for a long-lasting shine"
"The non-stick Teflon coating leaves an invisible protective barrier to help repel new dirt, road grime for a long lasting shine"

I haven't seen anyone here who has used this wax, but I bought it mainly because it seems like credible chemical technology. It is also the only wax with Teflon - maybe that's because only DuPont can make it?

So are there any experiences or opinions of this stuff?

Here is some background on my exterior maintenance needs:

My goal is to protect my silver 1999 C4, make it easy to spray of bugs and slush in the winter - and of course to make it look good too!

We have lots of bugs, you probably wouldn't believe how many bugs I have had on the nose and mirrors of the car after a 3 hour drive in Saskatchewan.

I'll also be driving in winter daily, and that usually means lots of frozen slush hanging from the wheel wells, no salt used here though, so that's nice!
Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

In a nutshell.....It won't do crap for your car.

The reason being is that Teflon will not bond to your cars paint. The reason it does to pots and pans is because those items are heated to very high temperatures and the Teflon is baked into the finish.

Dupont itself admits such. I work closely with a paint chemist, a guy that actually made paints for a living, and he states the same thing. Teflon (which has been found to be made with a cancer causing substance) may be "non-stick" on pots and pans but it does nothing for your cars exterior or interior.

Your better route would be to try a nice paint sealant followed by a good paste wax. You can try Zaino, Blackfire, UPP and Optimum for the sealants and I recommend Trade Secret, Victoria, Collinite and again Optimum for the wax.

Anthony
Old 07-02-2006, 02:48 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

OK, thanks for that.

I see now on the bottle of this Dupont Teflon wax that it does contain Carnabua wax after all, so it's not all bad. I'll throw it on another older car around here and go get some better wax for my C4 for now that I can buy at Canadian Tire. I see Meguires NXT is one that Canadian Tire sells, but not any of the others you have listed.

After doing more research I think I'll try a PC machine next month for this job, then I'll mail order some of those brands you mentioned and really go for a pro result by polishing out the micro scratches first. There is a lot more to it than I realized. I can see that prep work is going to be the main thing I need to learn how to do. In a few months I'll probably be on track!

Thanks again for the response!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Try E-Shine.... I believe they are in Canada, close to New York I think.

Tell Chris that Anthony sent ya

http://www.eshine.ca/index.php?PHPSE...ca6357181c99ee
Old 07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
ajcastanedaOFFICE
Track Day

IMO it actually is a pretty good wax. I used the Spray On version of the Teflon wax that allows you to use it while the surface is wet and the paint looks extremely deep (I have black). It looks better than Rejex - Rejex is a little too shiny for me (dare I say "gimmicky") and not very natural. I only use Rejex now if I am going on a long road trip in anticipation of possible rain or excessive dirt. Otherwise, it has been relegated to my wheels, glass and front bumper.

I am now using P21S Concours Caranuba - wow is all I have to say.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like using Meguiar's #26 on my car-it looks great as a topper over a sealant, mine is single stage paint and I really like the look of #26 and the durability of Meguiar's NXT. Good luck!

Steve
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
In a nutshell.....It won't do crap for your car.

The reason being is that Teflon will not bond to your cars paint. The reason it does to pots and pans is because those items are heated to very high temperatures and the Teflon is baked into the finish.

Dupont itself admits such. I work closely with a paint chemist, a guy that actually made paints for a living, and he states the same thing. Teflon (which has been found to be made with a cancer causing substance) may be "non-stick" on pots and pans but it does nothing for your cars exterior or interior.

Your better route would be to try a nice paint sealant followed by a good paste wax. You can try Zaino, Blackfire, UPP and Optimum for the sealants and I recommend Trade Secret, Victoria, Collinite and again Optimum for the wax.

Anthony
Anthony really knows his stuff. Teflon works on pots and pan but not on your car. for Teflon to "bond" it has to be heated to some ridiculous temperature. You car will never hit that point and therefore, it really won't do anything protection wise. I know a lot of guys use many different things, but at our company, we use Zymol for quality, protection, and environmental safety.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't AURI claim to have DuPont Teflon back in the 90's?

I used this stuff for years, it actually did a great job as a cleaner wax becuase of all the petroleum products it contained.

I see they are still making the stuff, and the 'new' AURI GOLD

Anyone still using it or care to give a review?

Chris.

Quick Reply: Dupont Teflon Car Wax - opinions?