Notices

Random Orbit buffer question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:24 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Random Orbit buffer question???

I need to buy another random orbit buffer to add to my collection.....My GEM tank works fine....but doesn't spin fast enough to really do any polishing and is not adjustable for speed.

I have heard good things about the porter cables......but everyone seems to think the cyclo dual head polisher is the best (at least it costs $100 more)....basically I am looking for a random orbit polisher to help remove some light swirl marks and other light scratches.....

However the cyclo is not speed adjustable either? Does the cyclo spin fast enough that foam pad choice & polish choice alone will be enough to remove most minor swirls-scratches......or would the porter cable be better since it is adjustable?

I do not want a high speed rotary buffer.....I don't feel my paint is that bad & don't want to risk ruining it? Another option is to pay $$$ to a skilled pro detailer (too bad Anthony is so far away!!) to high speed polish it for me?

Other ideas?
Old 07-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a PC 7336 that works great.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:06 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I read your comments and started laughing. I have one of those Gem tanks as well. I have the blue one, must weigh 20lbs. It doesn't rely on speed so much as weight to generate the heat necessary for a great job. I also have the PC, a great unit and very effective for your weekend waxer. I also recently purchased a rotary after reading some great comments from OCben--great for deep work. The rotary requires skill to us and is more dangerous than any orbital out there, but it's also more effective, or I guess I should say more effiicient (anthony??).

Your PC can solve your scratch or swirl problems, you just need the right chemicals to make your efforts effective. I believe there is no one better to comment on this issue than Anthony. Maybe you can post pics at the right angle to show the depth of the damage so a proper recommendation could be made.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:06 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll have to try to post some pics....but they usually don't show up well in pics....the best comparsion I have seen is the black car Anthony posted earlier this week.....maybe not that bad, but it could be the color (guards red) too.... My GEM is silver....but damm is it heavy!!! Great on hoods-roofs...but sucks on doors-fenders
Old 07-01-2006, 06:49 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I'll have to try to post some pics....but they usually don't show up well in pics....the best comparsion I have seen is the black car Anthony posted earlier this week.....maybe not that bad, but it could be the color (guards red) too.... My GEM is silver....but damm is it heavy!!! Great on hoods-roofs...but sucks on doors-fenders
I agree with you on the Gem. I've had it for five years now and while it saw a lot of action earlier on, I'm kinda' tired of lugging that damned thing around. I think I'll ebay the thing now that I think of it. I prefer to save my lifting for the gym, not waxing my car. Have you emailed Anthony? Since he posted those pics of that black one maybe he'll share specific chemicals with us.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I need to buy another random orbit buffer to add to my collection.....My GEM tank works fine....but doesn't spin fast enough to really do any polishing and is not adjustable for speed.

I have heard good things about the porter cables......but everyone seems to think the cyclo dual head polisher is the best (at least it costs $100 more)....basically I am looking for a random orbit polisher to help remove some light swirl marks and other light scratches.....

However the cyclo is not speed adjustable either? Does the cyclo spin fast enough that foam pad choice & polish choice alone will be enough to remove most minor swirls-scratches......or would the porter cable be better since it is adjustable?

I do not want a high speed rotary buffer.....I don't feel my paint is that bad & don't want to risk ruining it? Another option is to pay $$$ to a skilled pro detailer (too bad Anthony is so far away!!) to high speed polish it for me?

Other ideas?
Yes the Cyclo spins at a great enough rate (actaully oscillates) to provide both cutting and polishing providing the pad and product used.

The PC is also nice but does not generate the same power the Cyclo does.

If you purchase a Cyclo I recommend the white, orange and perhaps some Lake Country blue pads. You can also buy some micro-suede bonnets for final polishing.

Also, if I'm ever in your area I'll be sure to let you know

Anthony

Quick Reply: Random Orbit buffer question???