Notices

CLAY--skipping and a scuffin'

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts
Default CLAY--skipping and a scuffin'

I just did a comparison between the Griots Garage Clay and the Sonus Fine Clay. They both performaned as pretty much expected; removing imperfections and smoothing the paint. I would grade the Griots Garage Clay as a medium texture as it is not nearly as fine as Sonus.

Use: the Griots was easier to use as it didn't skip or leave scuff marks behind requiring more effort as I had to go back and clean them up. The Griots is at least twice the size allowing me to either split it into two pieces, or have a big chunky piece to firmly grip.

Results: The same. I believe the Sonus is much more gentle given its finer structure and mallableness. Tear them in half slowly and you'll see the difference in the texture of the two clays; Sonus peices are very fine and Griots rougher. Both sides of the car looked great and nearly impossible to tell any difference.

I prefer the use of the Griots as it's easier to use with less scuffing. Trust me, I used more lube than a proctologist with a full waiting room on a busy day to keep the clay moving, and I have the puddles in my garage to prove it. I have 6 bars of the Sonus which I will continue to use, but will only replenish my inventory with Griots. My hats of to you again Richard.
Attached Images   
Old 06-18-2006, 05:00 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You think the amibient temp had any effect on the clay - making it stick maybe?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:57 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm in dallas and it is 87F in my garage. I've been using Griots for some time and it behaved as it always has. However, the clay will be stickier if it is warmer given its structure, but they were both the same temperature. Fair comment, though.

I used the Sonus on my glass and it did a great job, better than the Griots, but that's not what we really buy it for is it!?

Last edited by SilverSteel; 06-23-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: CLAY--skipping and a scuffin'