Notices

Suspension Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
zed996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension Cleaning

Do the judges at PCA Concours check the cleanliness of the suspension on late model cars? Also how do they handle the fact that the factory sprays the yellowish sealer everywhere under the vehicle? That oily stuff attracts dirt. Are owners expected to clean off the underseal?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It really depends on how the concours is set up. Some local concours will have a full inspection, others have classes set up where as you advance up the classes, more sections of the car get inspected.

National Level is set up with several different classes and at times you may be able to exclude a certain portion of the car such as the underbody.

In my region, we do have a class that requires the full car to be inspected. As a judge in my region, I typically get assigned this class and you'll find me on the floor, in the grass or in the dirt getting under the car and checking for dirt on suspension components and underbody parts.

The removal of the cosmoline type/looking substance Porsche used to protect underbodies during shipment can be an iffy subject. Ask 3 people and you'll get 3 different answers. My theory is that if the car was delivered by Porsche to the dealer with this cosmoline type substance on it, it should remain on the car. I've left that gunk on my 964 yet on suspension components and such. It looks terrible and does attract dirt, but I've left the majority of it on the suspension and engine.

Just my $.02.

Jay
90 964
Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

This is one of those gray areas.....if you touch it will your finger come back dirty? If the answer is yes....then it needs to be removed.....kind of like the "clean grease" vs "dirty grease" debate typical in concours... Your in Zone 8 so contact your concours chairman...he should be able to give you the official answer for your Zone!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:49 PM
zed996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay and Brian:

Good feedback. Thanks.

Terry

Quick Reply: Suspension Cleaning