List your Top 20+ MUST HAVE detail products

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:16 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stoner's Invisible Glass is by far the best window cleaner I have found.

I like Eagle One's Nanowax and their leather cleaner and leather conditioner. The Nanowax is easy on and easy off, and has fillers.

3M products are professional grade and work very well. Imperial Hand Glaze does a good job filling in swirl marks on a dark color. Need to follow it with a wax for any kind of durability.

I used Rejex on my street car that is parked outside, and it is proving to be very durable. I used it on the glass as well, just like Rain-X.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash - Deep sea sponges

Dry - Electric blower and waffle weave micro fiber towels

Clay - Optimum Opti-clay 8oz bar

Polish - Optimum Polish and Hyper Compound - Menzerna FPII

Wax - Optimum spray wax, Trade Secret paste wax and Victoria paste wax

Sealant - I am designing a sealant under the Optimum label so as of right now it is the only one I use.

Car soap - Optimum car shampoo (enhanced version) OR Optimum's "No Rinse"

Glass - I usually only use 2 towels. One wet microfiber and one dry microfiber. 99% of the time no glass cleaners are needed. Optimum will soon have a multi-use glass cleaner out. It can remove hard water spots at full strength, on glass and paint and diluted it works great as a daily glass cleaner. It also works great for wheel cleaning.

Leather cleaner - Woolite mixed 6:1 or I use my steam vapor cleaner.

Leather conditioner - Leathermaster.... Nothing finer out there

Vinyl and coated leather conditioner - Optimum Protectant Plus

Tire dressing - Poorboys Bold and Bright (this is a superb product, no sling and is wiped on which leaves a nice sheen. It is non-glossy) My other tire dressing is Optimum Tire Gel which is applied via air compressor and paint gun. Excellent coverage with this method and a bit glossier than Bold and Bright.

De-greaser - Optimum de-greaser or Hi-Temps Extreme

Wheel cleaner - For heavy needs I use Top Of The Line's "Wheel Wash". For my weekly washes I use soap and water.

Chrome and metals - English Custom OR Lemon juice and corn starch

Anthony
Old 06-01-2006, 12:52 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Wash - Deep sea sponges
Leather conditioner - Leathermaster.... Nothing finer out there
Which sponge do you use and where do you buy it?

RE: Leathermaster - The Sonus brand of Cleaner and Conditioner supposidly are leathermaster products that are re-branded. Great stuff, although I'd call the conditioner a rejuvinator because it will take hard leather and turn it baby butt smooth. If you use it too much the the leather gets so soft that you literally see and feel the springs and coils in the seat (don't ask me how I know ).
Old 06-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronmart
Which sponge do you use and where do you buy it?
I get mine here http://www.topoftheline.com/natwoolseasp.html

Just make sure you PRE-rinse it thoroughly before using it as it may harbor sand and sea shells. Also make sure you wash with the uncut side as it is softer.

Rinse them well after use and store them in an area where they can get air.

Anthony
Old 06-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has anyone bought/used the microfiber wash mitts that Griot's sells now? I'm thinking of switching to these from a sheepskin mitt.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:02 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Okay, I've collected all of the data from this same question on Autopia and here (Over 350 products mentioned) and here's what I've come up with. The following products are the ones you MUST have (i.e., > 4 people said they couldn't live without it). I'd consider these must haves based on the feedback:

Sheepskin Mitts (from Excel)
303 Aerospace Protectant
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze
Duragloss Aquawax
Foam Gun
Klasse All-In-One (AIO)
Meguiars Gold Class shampoo
Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze
Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish
Natty's Blue
Optimum No Rinse Wash,
P21S Carnauba Wax
Pak Shak Microfiber towells
Poorboys EX-P
Porter Cable 7424 Polisher
Sonüs Microfiber Towels
Stoner Invisible Glass
Vinylex by Lexol
Woolite (6to1)
Zaino Z-10

Here's some very popular products that at least 3 different people spoke highly of, but didn't make the above list:

Black Again
Clearkote Quickshine
Clearkote Vanilla Moose
Griot's Garage Car Wash
Griots Interior Cleaner (esp for carpet)
Griots Wheel Cleaner
Klasse Sealant Glaze
Lexol Leather Conditioner
Meguiars NXT Glass Cleaner
Menzerna Final Polish II (FP2)
Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP)
Optimum Compound
Optimum Hyper Compound
Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright Tire Dressing
Poorboys Spray & Wipe
Old 06-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Brushes

For interior and some exterior work, the brushes I get are from a cosmetics store my wife frequents. It's Sefora or whatever, but they have several in malls. I just go in to pick-up a few nice brushes every now and then.

I Haven't used Autoglym for engine, but I did have their leather conditioner.

As for Zaino, well as most know, the finish has to be as good as can be for best results. Any good glaze w/o oils should work with it otherwise it does not bond correctly. Washing with dish detergent is good to strip oils/wax off for a clean finish. Really, anything that alkaline will work. I also used Meguiars APC Plus mixed up in a spray bottle for touch-up removal of glaze/wax/oil if a product didn't work on a panel.

The new Zaino Z5Pro so far seems to hide a tad more and give better gloss for dark colors. Top with Z2Pro and the Z8 spray and it looks great.

For waxes, Souveran or Natty Blue for darks, P21S for metallics as you can't beat the look it gives off.

Now go and clean up that car will you?

Deanski
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Deanski
For waxes, Souveran or Natty Blue for darks, P21S for metallics as you can't beat the look it gives off.

Now go and clean up that car will you?

Deanski
I wish I could - i've got all 3 cars so clean you have to wear sunglass when you go in the garage! Now I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to top myself next time.

BTW. great stuff, thanks!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:42 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
If you're buying your towels at Target, you better be careful. Most cheepie towels are sewn with nylon cording on the end, which can cause scratching.
What can I say - product works, does not scratch the paintwork, doesn't need to be hand sewn by mastercraftsmen on the Silk Road near Taklimakan....

I find that washing the car correctly, then rinsing, then using a hose without nozzle to allow the water to sheet off the car, leaves very little moisture to remove with the MF.

I can literally pull a MF towel over the surface by two corners, with no downwards pressure what so ever, and leave the paint dry and spot free.

No scratches either.

Chris.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:22 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Chris,

I have MF's from Sams Club, Costco and Target. The ones I from Target left some very small scratches on my mom's new car (never been washed). I then purchased some from Pakshak that are of much higher quality. Apparently they have the seams sewn with satin or silk leaving no exposed threads or fishing line. I'm glad to hear you've experienced no problems. Check the seams as they generally will hold the dirt. There is a difference that can be easily seen when it has to do with quality. I have since delegated the "cheapies" to the wheels and tips.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best detailing thread EVER! Already in trouble with the wife for ordering a ton of the above mentioned!

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What would be the best to remove oxidation off my hood and nose piece? 1986 951, India Red .... original paint.
Have a PC 7336 with Orange, White and Black Pads, Klasse Twins and P21S. Just need to clean off the hood etc ... AIO does not do the trick!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:56 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AndyK
Best detailing thread EVER! Already in trouble with the wife for ordering a ton of the above mentioned!

Thanks!
Cool - be sure to post some pics after you get your baby in top form after all of this!

I'll probably update my Top 20 list every so often as I'm always trying out new things and techniques, so stay tuned!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
What would be the best to remove oxidation off my hood and nose piece? 1986 951, India Red .... original paint.
Have a PC 7336 with Orange, White and Black Pads, Klasse Twins and P21S. Just need to clean off the hood etc ... AIO does not do the trick!!!
No, I haven't seen AIO get rid of oxidation problems. It is a cleaner, but that doesn't mean it is a substitute for polish.

You need to polish with a fairly aggressive polish to get rid of oxidation (start with something like a Griots Garage Machine Polish 1 or equivalent) and you'll definitely want to use your orange pad. The thing about agressive polishes is you can't just use them and then move to AIO. You need to work up the chain of polishes, so if you use Griots 1, then you have to use 2 and 3 in order (same for any brand). One you have the paint in perfect condition, THEN you use the Klasse twins (AIO first) and finish up with P21s.

If your car is in good shape (no oxidation or swirling) and you are just trying to restore the shine, then you can start with AIO then Sealant Glaze followed by P21s.

The Klasse twins should only be necessary once or twice a year, but you can put P21s on as often as you like. The next time you use AIO it will remove the prior application of sealant at the same time it applies a new one, so that is what they mean by it being a cleaner and sealant all in one.

With paint that is in good shape, a fresh coat of P21s will make it ready for Pebble Beach in no time!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

I hereby waive all liability steming from undue influence upon any parties exposed to the following thread. Including excessive expropriation of monies on said cleaning supplies. It's too late for me, save yourselves.

I'll post my car on the weekend for your scrutiny and suggestions. Let me know if I need anything else Ronmart.

Quick Reply: List your Top 20+ MUST HAVE detail products