Notices

Very fine scratches in the paint

Old 06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean no offense guys, as many of you seem to like Griots stuff, but they are so overpriced for what you get.

Why have 3 different polishes when one can do the same job?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:49 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

Anthony, there are three polishes. Each polish contains microscopic abrassives that break down to smaller and smaller elements as you use the polish. 1 being the most abrassive, starts out with the largest elements and breaks down to the size of 2. You use 2 that breaks down to 3, then you move to glaze or wax.

My neighbor and friend designed and sold the formula to Richard Griot (patent for 7 seven years). That said, it's good stuff that is very effective. I have three sets and use them regularly and they do work. You can begin with 2 and go to 3. Or just start with and finish with three depending on the depth of the scratches or swirls.

His stuff is all very good and it all carries a LIFETIME warranty. He'll take anything back that you're not happy with. He spends considerable time researching his offerrings prior to putting his name on them. It's a great one stop shop that always guarantees shipment, fast service, quality products and no hassle guarantee. I know it sounds like I work for them, but that's certainly not true. I just buy a lot from him and trust his experience. Sure there are items out there over here and over there, but he's a great one stop shop. My two cents...
Old 06-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

I understand the concept of a multi-step system, one going from a leveling product to a polishing and then a finishing step but why have 3 different products when one product can take the place of all 3?

I used to carry 3 different levelers with me, 4 different polishes and several waxes, both liquid and paste. Then after I had tested some versions of the polish I now use I trashed them all because I am now able to remove 1200 grit sanding marks with a wool pad, then change to a medium polishing pad and remove the wool pad swirls, reduce rpm's, change to a polishing/finishing pad and be left with a swirl free finish, all with one product.

As I understand it Griots polishes, for all 3, will cost you around $45.00...these are 16oz bottles. The polish I use costs around $15.00 and it's 32oz yet it can cover the range of all 3 Griot polishes.

Griots sells a gallon of their interior dressing for $95 bucks!! The dressing I use costs around $18.00 for a gallon. Mine is non greasy, in fact you can't even tell it's on the material, it has UV absorbers and no scent.....so what is it about the Griots that can justify the extra $80.00??

Now please don't take this as me questioning you...rather I am just throwing questions out there to all who read this. One is able to use what ever products they use for whatever cost....I am just looking for the rational reasoning behind the cost. Perhaps someone can tell me why it's different.....but I have been around long enough to know that a great majority of products claiming to be "unique" are in fact not but made by one of the only few major chemical manufacturers in the United States and then private labeled. One can pay $70 for an 8oz tub of wax and another company private labels that same exact formula and sells it for $30.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Classic case of brand marketing Vs actual experience

I always try to listen to the pro's and not the manufacturers - and I only recommend products I've actually used and can testify to their effectiveness.

Chris.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:43 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

Anthony,

Oops. Lost this thread and found it again. Uh, I'd say some lazy white collar guys like me like seeing his material in the mail every month and can understand the remedial instructions and 1,2, and 3 makes since to us. You are right on when you say his stuff is over priced. But, it's easy and we lazy terds like to be catered to, per-sey. That said, his stuff is good. I wanted to ask you about your non-greasy dressing. What is it? Secondly, I also agree on the chemical companies manufacturing the same, or very, very similar item with perhaps a different scent for significantly more money. Oooooonly in the US can you get away with fancy marketing like this (I think). Thanks for your notes...
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Hey,

The dressing I use is made by Optimum for Optimum and is called Protectant Plus. It's a professional product so it doesn't have a great following by the weekend warrior type.

I can send you a sample if you wish?

Anthony
Old 09-16-2006, 10:05 AM
San Antonio Mobile Car Wash
Track Day

What I use to wash vehicles with are sponges that I have shipped from Greece. They don't scratch or marr the paint.

You should try washing with a high foaming car soap and high quality micro-fiber wash towel along with filtered water of some type.

Here are some few examples.

This Cayenne is washed rain or shine exclusively by me, every Friday for the past 3+ years and has never been waxed. Atleast 200+ washes.

This shot is looking directly into the paint.

Cadilac Escalade, 2+ years

The all new redesigned 2007 MercedesBenz S class, 5 washes now.

San Antonio Mobile Wash
www.SAmobilecarwash.com

Last edited by San Antonio Mobile Car Wash; 09-16-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 AM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up with the same fine scratch marks after color sanding, medium and fine compounding. I got the scratches out with Mcguire's Scratch X. Then followed up with polish and Hand Glaze.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:40 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Anthony,

Perhaps you've already done this and I missed it, but how's about you putting together a comprehensive list of the products you use and recommend? As an example, I have scrathes from a dog on my new black Cayenne I'd like to remove. What would you use?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

OK....I'll do something like that and post it up for the Rennlist community

Anthony
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

I painted my car (Glasurit two-stage, black) and am right now in the midst of wet-sanding (P1500/2000/2500) and then polishing with a rotary buffer using Sure Finish throughout. I use a wool pad @ 1100 rpm, a medium density foam pad @ 1400 rpm and a very soft foam pad @ 1800 rpm. Sure Finish is the best polish in my limited experience and has no fillers, so what-you-see-is-what-you-get. The finish looks really nice now, even under a high-intensity point source incandescent light. I will eventually finish off with a PC random orbit (I guess...) My blog (link in sig) has more details/pics FWIW.

BTW San Antonio car wash guy, those cars look great! Where do you get those sponges that you refer too?

Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to add my two cents if I may. I've competed in countless concours for over 20 years, mostly with very high end Ferraris - either fully restored (ranging from a 1962 GTO to an F40, and everything in between). At the local FCA level, to National Meets, to Glamorous ones as Pebble Beach. As such, I've used numerous waxes and finishes and tested them over and over again. I wanted to see ease of application, cost to value, if it aided in hiding hair-line scratches, how long it held it's gloss retention, and of course depth of shine. That all being said, If you are looking for the best wax on the market, under the assumption your car's paint is clean of debree, has been prepped properly (scratches removes, dirt, and old waxes too), I would "highly" recommend using a few waxes made my Zymol, and yes they make prep finishes too. I have yet to find a wax that even comes close. Don't get me wrong, they are expensive compared to some of the ones you guys mentioned, but by far, are superior to the ones named. You may want to visit the Zymol we site and educate yourself as to why these products are looked upon as being the best in the industry. Especially, if you are obsessed with having the best product, like I am. You can see their product line up at Zymol.

If you want the best bang for the buck, I would suggest "Concours" wax, But if you are a total fanatic, and want the best, than to me, nothing can even come close to touching the "Vintage" The Vintage contains 61 percent Brazilian No. 1 White Carnauba by volume, the highest in any product designed to protect automotive finishes. Also for a one time investment, the container is refillable for a lifetime!! This is the one that I have, and it is absolutely fabulous.

Anyway, sorry to bother you guys but I thought I'd just share my experiences.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 11-10-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very fine scratches in the paint