Notices

Paint protection systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint protection systems

I originally posted this on the 964 forum a few days ago but got no response so I thought I'd open up the discussion to those more specifically interested in the subject.

I've been looking at some of the paint protection systems with a view to getting something installed on my newly repainted 964. Because the car has an unusual bodykit none of the pre-cut film kits available are suitable and it would mean having a special kit designed and cut.

However, searching through the Internet I came across a product called "Armorcoat" - web site is here - which is a spray on, hard, 2 pack clear coat which is designed to be applied in several coats to build an 8 mil thick transparent skin to protect the underlying paint. It is applied in addition to the normal clear coat. According to their information it supposedly doesn't yellow with age, is not removeable (of course) but is suitable for really intricate surfaces (and anything else that can be painted).

Has anybody come across this product before or had any positive or negative experiences??

Regards

Dave
Old 04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard ths product discussed but I have not personally used it or seen it.

I'll look into it for you and get back with any info I find. What I have heard is that the final look is not that eye appealing but this is always subjective.

Anthony
Old 04-26-2006, 05:02 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Nobody else got any comments or observations on this??

If it's as effective as they promise (are they ever??) it looks like quite a good solution. Being a regular 2K product it can be thinned and blended so you can cover part panels without the nasty line left by the film protections. Admittedly, it can't easily be removed - but is that a problem?? If the panel got damaged to warrant a respray it's no more difficult to respray than a non-protected panel.

I've got my bodyshop to look into it further with a view to using it on my car if it all looks good. I'll report back if it goes ahead.

Regards

Dave
Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

I've just got off the 'phone to the ArmorCoat distributor in Germany (where it's apparently marketed as "Seidenfaust" - or "Silk Fist") and he told me they have done some recent tests in Romania where they dropped gravel onto treated paint panels from 20 storeys high (!!) with no apparent ill effects. He also said that they fired pellets from an air pistol (I've no idea from how far) and only one left a mark.

I'm sure some of the claims need to be taken with a pinch of salt but I'm going to give it a try. I'll probably get the whole car done since it can be used instead of the regular clear coat lacquer.

I'll report back once we have some experience with it.

Regards

Dave

Quick Reply: Paint protection systems