Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ultimate Detail!

This is my kinda guy...

I bet he's expensive...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen this video and I'm not impressed with his work BUT I am very impressed with his marketing skills....the guy has developed a niche for sure!

There is nothing special about his clay, his wax or his "61 steps". Most wax comes from Brazil, it does not set up "hard as concrete", 98% of the clay detailers use comes from the same source and cleaning tires, IMHO, is NOT a seperate "step" from cleaning the wheels, wheel wells, etc. If every detailer made cleaning tires 1 step, wheels and 2nd step, washing, drying, windows, etc. a "step" then your average mini-detail would consist of at least 35 steps. A full blown concours detail would then be a hundred plus steps. You market it that way....."I perform over 100+ detailing steps on your car" and then tell people that you have a wax specially created from North Brazil and it costs thousands of dollars which is then "hand applied" and you'll impress those people who have more money than common sense.

This guy is a great detailer I am sure but he is a superb PR guy and knows what tickles the ears of wealthy people who are **** about their cars.

Anthony
Old 04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you're spot on with that analysis Anthony. Not that I know that much about detailing, but that guy is a better marketer of his service than anything I would bet. There are many people on this board who can do what he does some of whom do it for a living like Anthony, and some who are just craxy like OC Ben. I am impressed with his work, but half of it is that he is working on cars who are cared for very well in addition to being awesome to look at in any condition. That makes his work "seem" much better than it already is. He is starting with a pretty nice pallett already. He doesn't have to do that much to really make is pop. I have seen pics on this site from Anthony and others whose finished product looks as good.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:54 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

$12K wax.....thats crazy....but I did meet a detailer who preps Concours Italiano class winning Ferraris...he said he will spend 6 hours on one panel to get it just right!!!! It takes him a week just to do wax job!! Thats wild...but if you want it perfect....
Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
knows what tickles the ears of wealthy people who are **** about their cars.

Anthony
Anthony,

I totally agree with your statement. I'm detailing a relatively expensive 1 yr old Audi this weekend. The owner has run it through those rag type car washes all winter (!) and has scratched the hell out of his paint, but now for spring, wants the car looking good again. He's picky and weathly. I've told him I'll glaze the car and follow it up with a hand applied wax and rub and all that jazz that we detailer use to make our processes sound professional. All we're doing is smearing stuff on paint to get it to look good.

This guy could not tell the difference between my amature 3M Hand Glaze and P21S wax job verses the guy's job in the video above (other than he's gonna pay A LOT less for my work!), but it's all about customer service. The products are basically all the same and the results are very similar no matter what you use if you have the skills. Make the customer feel special by paying attention to what they want done to the car and insure it's done. Yes, this guy has a nitch in the market place and is exploiting it to it's fullest potential. Good for him!!

Jay
90 964
Old 05-19-2006, 12:17 PM
imfinlay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't be that good. He left the wheels on.

Ian

Quick Reply: Ultimate Detail!