Notices

Keeping wheels clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually Coke can be used, so I am told by some UK detailers, as a tire shine!!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:03 PM
brownie
Advanced

Please note that a caustic solution can mess up metals as well. I strongly recommend a decent wheel cleaner such as PS21 or equivalent just to be safe. I used to use Simple Green on my Audi's wheels and had some problems with the finish. Switched to PS21 and rejex and have no problems keeping wheels clean.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

simplr green is great as a spray on wash off product eliminates most wheel dirt without all the elbow grease. I highly recommend a wheel wash with a mit and dish soap right after rinse for best results.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like every product I try gives me the same result: I wash, rinse, then mess up my mit because there is still left over dirt/dust!

Is there a better product that get's the rims squeaky clean, without going over them a few times?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndyK
Seems like every product I try gives me the same result: I wash, rinse, then mess up my mit because there is still left over dirt/dust!

Is there a better product that get's the rims squeaky clean, without going over them a few times?
Try this http://www.topoftheline.com/32ozwheeltir.html

Anthony
Old 07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK

Simple Green does it first time for me.

I rinse the wheel first with the hose.

Apply Simple green and leave for 3-5 mins (not allowing it to dry of course) This releases the brake dust from the wheel nicely.

Use a wool wash mitt with soapy water to clean inside and outside of the wheel (I keep this mitt just for wheels) The wool mit lifts the crud and hangs on to it really well, taking it off of the wheel. Much better than any brush.

Rinse the wheel with the hose for a super clean shine

Rinse the mitt with the hose to remove excess brake dust crud.

No need to go back a 2nd time, wheel is clean first time through.

Chris.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:46 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
For many years now I have been giving my wheels a coat of turtle wax or any other form of wax every couple of months in an attempt to make them easier to clean.....I am not sure how effective this is since I have never done the scientific experiment of doing one side and not the other and comparing.....what tricks do the rest of you do to try and make it easier to clean your wheels....ie stop brake dust bonding to the surface ??? And yes I do clean my car at least every other w/e and yes that does make it easier to keep them clean.....thanks
Rejex works great. Make sure you clean weekly using a non-caustic cleaner like Zymol Wheel Cleaner.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Rejex.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:01 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

If you like Simple Green, buy the Aircraft grade version. Aircraft are made from aluminum and regular Simple Green has had some problems on Aluminum, this is why they came out with the aircraft version. I use it on my motorcycles, and everything else...

Old 07-14-2006, 10:00 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Simple Green does it first time for me.

I rinse the wheel first with the hose.

Apply Simple green and leave for 3-5 mins (not allowing it to dry of course) This releases the brake dust from the wheel nicely.

Use a wool wash mitt with soapy water to clean inside and outside of the wheel (I keep this mitt just for wheels) The wool mit lifts the crud and hangs on to it really well, taking it off of the wheel. Much better than any brush.

Rinse the wheel with the hose for a super clean shine

Rinse the mitt with the hose to remove excess brake dust crud.

No need to go back a 2nd time, wheel is clean first time through.

Chris.
I would think using a mitt right after spraying the wheels would cause all the dirt and dust to go right into the mitt. Doesn't it look black after you use the mitt like that? Wont there be residual dirt and gook, no matter how you spray the mitt clean after?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:40 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Yep, the mitt really does pick up the dust, which get's it off the wheels.

Those wool mitss are designed to pick up dirt, and that makes the whole process easier.

It will rinse out just fine, just rinse frequently as it gets full of grey dust!

I keep a mitt just for the wheels - wouldn't want to use it on my car.

Good investment, and having the mitt makes it easier to get you hand inside the wheels to clean.

Chris.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:37 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's never "grey dust", it's always black, and stains like grease! Does your mitt look clean when you rinse after doing the rims? I have no problem dedicating a mitt to the rims, but don't want to have a filthy mess to rub on my rims the next cleaning.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Yes, the mitt rinses out clean - I suspect the simple green helps as well

The mitt is what makes the difference here - wheel brushes just push the brake dust around, the mitt takes it of the wheel, and holds onto it until rinsed off.

It's then clean and ready for the next wheel - it does not re-deposit on the wheels after it's been rinsed.

Keep a bucket of clean water handy for extra rinsing if you like - just dunk, scrunch the mitt on your hand, and wring out for a super clean mitt.

Try one - you'll be surprised how effective it is.

Chris.

Quick Reply: Keeping wheels clean