Notices

Tips for cleaning/polishing around model emblem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Tips for cleaning/polishing around model emblem?

I would like to clean around my wide 9-4-4 S2 badge. Is there a trick to getting in between the numbers and polishing without ruining the emblem's finish? Tooth brush with polish on it maybe?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can 'clean' the area with a detailer's brush (boar's hair) or a soft cotton swab or a set of microfiber detailing swabs.

As far as polishing, your best bet is to simply remove the emblems (assuming they are still available...some are NLA), work on the painted surface, and then replace the emblems with new ones. Some people take this opportunity to get the emblems painted (I did on my midnight blue metallic RSAmerica; I had the black emblems painted Arctic Silver by Eric at www.bumperplugs.com)
Old 02-08-2006, 01:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do decide to 'debadge' the car, the easiest way to do it is with "Glide" brand dental floss....very strong and will not scratch/damage the paint.

Simply cut off a long piece, wrap it around your fingers, and get in between the badge and painted body surface.

You may also want to take a picture/measurement or two, so you can put the emblems on exactly where they were originally (factory workshop manuals will also have the dimensions/locations)
Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure it's worth taking off the 944 and the S, and the seperate 2! I'd probably never get them back in the correct location.

I'll give the detailers brush a try (after I buy one, of course).

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

If possible please post up a picture of the area you are seeking to clean/polish.

Most emblems I have removed have been replaced with no problem as there is left behind an indent or there's an indication on the paint of where the original emblem was located.

Anthony
Old 02-08-2006, 11:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here it is. I managed to clean around most of the wider-spaced numbers. But there is some mild discoloration between the S and 2, and some in the middle of the 9. Since each number is seperate, it's probably not worth it to remove them:

Quick Reply: Tips for cleaning/polishing around model emblem?