Notices

Removing Micro-Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:47 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Removing Micro-Scratches

When trying to remove micro-scratches with a non abrasive polishing agent are you really just removing some of the paint to get rid of the scrathes.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would be polishing for a very long time to try and remove micro-scratches with a "non-abrasive" polish because it is in fact the abrasives that do the work.

For example, if you are attempting to remove a scratch you are not really removing the scratch but rather you are removing or "leveling" down the paint surrounding the scratch to the level of the scratch.

This can only be done with abrasives, heat and friction....the more heat and friction the faster the cut.

Here is a Porsche Boxster I recently wetsanded to remove a scratch in the fender. I wetsanded it with 2000 grit paper until all the gloss was gone.

Notice the ugly scratches? Looks horrible eh? Well this is what's meant by "leveling".....I now need to use my high speed rotary polisher, Optimum Hyper Compound and various pads to remove the wetsanding marks. I then used Optimum Polish and a few foam finishing pads to fully remove the remaining scratches to reveal a flawless finish.

Hope that helps,
Anthony
Old 01-18-2006, 11:38 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Anthony
That is amazing!!!! The main scratch still looks deeper than the wet sand marks? Did you fill the scratch in with touch up?

Have you ever tried Langka? It works really well on my car!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Anthony
That is amazing!!!! The main scratch still looks deeper than the wet sand marks? Did you fill the scratch in with touch up?

Have you ever tried Langka? It works really well on my car!
Thanks Brian.

I did not use a pigmented paint to fill the scratch as it is a lapus blue metallic...trying to fill too much in on a metallic paint with touch-up paint can be a case of the cure being worse than the illness as you can't get the metallic to blend in properly.

This is why a paint shop will paint a much larger area so as to blend in the paint.

So instead of pigmented paint I built up a few layers of just clear touch-up paint, allowing to dry and then lightly wetsanding. There is still a very small area where the scratch remains, which is at its deepest point but it is now greatly reduced in appearance.

I use a product similar to the Langka. You apply your touch-up paint, wait about 30 minutes then rub this chemical over the touch-up area and it removes the excess touch-up paint. It works great and I am very pleased with the results.

Take care,
Anthony
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Anthony
On a base color only, like Guards red, Langka is very easy to use.....I've only used it a couple times and am very please with it!

Quick Reply: Removing Micro-Scratches