Notices

First time waxer!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorskiePete
I am new to this level of finish care as well. I recently purchased a new-to-me Guards Red 968. My neighbor introduced me to the process of claying the paint and polishing with a product called Klasse. The car shined up real nicely and the oxidiized areas were almost completely gone. However, in the intervening 3 weeks, the oxidation has started to reappear (the car has been in the garage except when driven).

So, my question is: Are there any special steps to be taken with the directions mentioned earlier in this post for Guards Red?

Pete
Oxidation of paint is going to happen on single stage paints where ever it is parked. It just happens at a faster rate when exposed to harsher elements. Technically, oxidation occurs as the painted surface is exposed to oxygen, it has to do with polymers in the paint I believe. Much like poishing out some copper and for a few days it looks great but then as it is exposed to oxygen it begins the tarnishing process all over. Protect it from oxygen and it tarnishes at a reduced rate.

This is where the clear coats come in. They contain UV absorbers within the "plastic" clear coating that keep the pigmented paint safe from the oxidation process. Clear coats having no pigmented paint then do not truly oxidize, although some clear coats, like on some NSX's, do have a tint to them.

Many manufacturers claim that their carnauba wax contains "natural" UV absorbers but this is incorrect because UV absorbers must be added. If any of you have some Optimum spray wax you'll notice that it seperates. The UV absorbers weigh more than the wax and polymers and thus settle to the bottom, these same UV absorbers are in clear coated paints as well so after you polish your single stage Guards Red paint you'll want some form of UV protection to help slow down the oxidation process.

Klasse AIO is a nice product but it has no UV protection. It wil clean the paint, as in remove some oxidation but on its own it offers little protection.

Claying your car doesn't remove oxidation either. You'll need to abrade away oxidation and the best method is by a mild polishing agent and a polishing machine, either orbital or rotary. Leave the rotary to the professionals. A nice orbital to get is the PC because it is user friendly and rather cheap as far as costs go.

If you need some further advice and help on polishing please let me know.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

Quick Reply: First time waxer!