Notices

How do I get rid of overspray

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Julia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I get rid of overspray

I have a slight bit of overspray on a rubber seal that I want to get rid of. What is good to use for that and that won't harm the paint if some gets on it. It is the tiny seal behind the "accordian" bumper seals. Boy is that hard to put into words!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

If it is light then you can just scrap it off.

Is it road paint, house paint, boat paint or you have no idea what type of paint it is?

Anthony
Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Julia
Instructor

It is light overspreay car paint. I thought about trying to scrap off with an exacto knife. I did't want to use mineral spirits or nail polish remover for fear of hurting the car's paint.

Your work on the vette is GORGEOUS! I'm getting ready for my second Concours this Sunday in Carmel, CA. I'm just about ready, just wanted to get rid of that overspray. Got a .25 deduction for it last time!

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

I am sure I can help you out here but I am confused as to where the overspray paint is. Is it on the paint of the rubber bumper area?

If it is on the paint then you can use automitive detailing clay to remove it, polish the area then wax it.

If it's on the rubber pieces then we have a bit of a problem. The problem is that the rubber pieces are very pourous and really th eonly method to remove the overspray is with a solvent. The clay won't work on rubber. The solvent will discolor the rubber, cause it to haze up, turn either white or grey in color.

Now this really isn't a bad thing IF you have the right product to then re-dye the rubber piece. Notice I said "re-dye" and not "dress". A dressing will only give a temporary blackness back to the rubber piece. It may only last a few days to a few hours.

If you want to know more about how to re-dye it then let me know and I'll steer you to the place where you can get this kit. Your other option is to replace the rubber pieces.

To demonstrate the "dye" here are a few pictures of a Porsche that was refinished.

Now after cleaning the area we then added two very light coats of the dye. The dye will become semi-permanent and last anywhere from 1 year to 5 years.

Anthony
Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Julia
Instructor

Wow, that's amazing. My overspray is on the small rubber trim piece just behind the accordian trim on my SC. It's very slight, but there. It's the one just in front of the front tire on top. It's like the car paint seeped through when they repaintetd. They should have taken that trim off. It's a good repaint, hard to believe they missed somethiing like that!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How do I get rid of overspray