Notices

Aluminium protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminium protection

Any ideas how best to protect freshly cleaned undercarriage aluminium parts, be it suspension parts, oil sump etc? They are covered in a black protective layer from factory, which obviously has its function in harsh climates, since in my experience "naked" aluminium turns dirty and difficult-to-clean fairly soon. I can think of regular coatings of WD40 (yes, it works), but are there any other products which are easy and handy to use, and perhaps longer-lasting as well?
Advice apreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Regular steam cleaning works very well. After steaming, protect with mild lubricant like you suggest.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:55 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default You may want to look at these

I have NO experience with these products
I was looking at them to do pretty much what you described
This company is pretty reputable and I have bought stuff from them in the past
Caswellplating.com
One of them is a bit expensive

Protect all your polished aluminum, stainless steel and chrome parts from oxidation and eliminate the need for repeat polishing. A kit covers 75 square feet. Easy to apply when following the instructions provided. Formulated for use on cars, trucks, boats motorcycles, engines, wheels and interior accessories. When applied properly ZoopSeal™ will:

Applications Of This Product

* A hybrid ceramic sealer that protects finishes for up to two years.

Related Products

* Aluminum Polishing Kit
* Chrome Polishing Kit
* ZoopSeal Cleaners, Polishes & Waxes

* Prevent dulling and oxidation
* Retain the polished brightness and luster of aluminum
* Eliminate the need for repeat polishing
* Be long lasting
* Will work on aluminum, brass, and stainless steel
* Be safe to use and environmentally friendly
Tired of continually polishing aluminum or pot metal?

Here's the complete long term answer! Clearcoat It.

1. Polish the part (for the last time), spray on a coat of Clear VHT and allow to dry.
2. Take the bike, or car, for a spin, and the engine heat will cure the coating!
3. That's it! Finished - for good!
4. Ideal for Use on:
* Automotive Exhaust
* Snowmobiles Jet Ski
* Motorcycle Exhaust & aluminum parts
* Barbecues Franklin Stoves Fireplaces Mufflers

VHT FlameProof coating was originally developed some 30 years ago and is now used as a protective coating for the white-hot surfaces of space-bound and re-entry vehicles.

Since its inception, new ideas for applications have been developed by numerous industrial, automotive, and electrical engineers. These include aerospace hardware, smoke stacks, jet engines, heat exchangers, boilers, heaters, exhaust manifolds, mufflers, steam pipes, barbecues, electrical hardware, and countless other applications where resistance to high temperatures and/or weathering is required.

Leading major industrial firms have come to rely on VHT FlameProof coating to solve many of their most difficult problems. Firms such as IBM, Corning glass, Colt Industries, B.F. Goodrich, Bechtol Corporation, Combustion Engineering, Air Research, Alcoa, RCA, Raytheon, NASA, Hughes Aircraft Lockheed, Cessna, North American Rockwell, and countless others equally impressive have benefited by VHT's progress in high temperature coatings.
Surface preparation:

1. No special surface preparation is required, except removal of oil films, etc.
2. Anodized, irridited and alodyned surfaces can be directly coated with VHT FlameProof for lower temperature use only.

Good luck
Regards
Ed
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, I'll look into it and will most likely order one. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Your welcome
Please let me know which one you go with and how you like it. I am a month away from getting to it
regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Aluminium protection