Notices

18" Carrera rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" Carrera rims

This may seem petty but its a royal pain! When I wash my car ('04 996) which is equipped with the 18" Carrera rims, some dirty water seems to get trapped behind the spokes or elsewhere inside the wheel. As soon as the car is driven, this crap is flung over the wheel and requires a secondary cleaning with a rag and some sort of detail spray or whatever is handy. The fronts seem to get it worse than the back, maybe due to the camber on the rear.

I have tried aggressive hose-down but nothing seems to work, is this why some people remove their wheels to clean them?

The previous owner had the inside of the rims painted, not sure if this is relevant.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you wash the car use a leaf blower to force the standing water out, an air compressor works well also.

After this drive the car back and forth a few times pumping the brakes. Then turn the car off and clean up the excess dirty water. This should eliminate the standing water BUT it will not eliminate the brake dust. That will be back at the end of the day, sad to say.

It may also be that this area has some baked on brake dust that needs to be removed. You'll need a strong wheel cleaner for this. Let me know if this is what you need and I can send you a link to some great and yet very safe wheel cleaner.

Hope that helps,
Anthony

Quick Reply: 18" Carrera rims