Sanity check request before I order the Porter Cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sanity check request before I order the Porter Cable

I've been a Zaino user for about a year and really like the shine & durability but never managed to get out some of the light scratches that are in my cars. My '97 C2S has a number of light scratches in the hood & doors that I want to remove. My '99 951 also has some scratches, water marks and very light oxidation in a few places.

Based on a number of recommendations, it seems that the Porter Cable polisher is the best answer. I'm planning on ordering the following:

Porter Cable 7424
Sonüs DAS FlexPlate
Sonüs DAS Orange Foam Pad
Sonüs DAS Green Foam Pad
Sonüs DAS Blue Foam Pad
Sonüs DAS Buffing Bonnet
Sonüs SFX-1 and SFX-2

After using the SFX-1 and SFX-2 (depending on the car & condition of the paint), I plan to continue using Zaino for the final polish & shine.

Any thoughts?

Also, who has the best pricing? Autopia Car Car is $199 for the PC and Sonüs items above .

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 01-04-2005, 02:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Rick,
I went with the PC 7336 and use the polishing pads from Griot's.

I found this article on the differences between the various PC models:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...f8c+1104944752

I bought it here:
http://www.northwestpowertools.com/s...arrel/7336.htm
(I have purchased many woodworking tools from them and have always been happy with price and service)

I used my wife's old 2000 Excursion (she recently got a 2005) as the guinea pig and was amazed at the results (removed years of automatic car wash swirls). I then used it on my RSAmerica and was equally impressed.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use that style random orbital regularly. Works great. I like the results a lot. I do bumpers by hand though just because its easier.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:39 PM
9SIX8
Advanced

you guys ever worry about taking too much paint off?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

The Porter Cable is pretty much idiot proof. You can't damage the paint job if you tried to. With using QUALITY polish ( I use Griot's) you will only remove the dead oxidized paint and not "good paint". Removing small scratches and swirl marks only requires a microscopic amount of paint to be worked.
R
Old 01-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert/Tony/Lewis,

Thanks much for the help - I really appreciate it...should have the PC here by the first of next week.

Robert - what Griot's products do you use? Also, would love to pick your brain a bit on 356s; I've been looking for one but would really like to get an "expert's" insights on what to look for. If you're OK with that I'll PM you my contact info.

Thanks much to all & Happy New Year,

Rick
Old 01-06-2005, 10:43 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

Rick,
Not a problem. I have a passion for all Porsche's, but especially 356s!
After using just about every product out there, and working for Zymol, I have found Griot's products really fit my needs for everything from prepping for Full Concours events and just keeping a nice shine on "other cars".
Their polishes are very effective without being too abrasive, and their Best of Show wax lasts longer than other products. But note.....I'm a die-hard carnauba guy. I don't care for the polymer products like Zaino and Rejex etc. that bond to the paint.
PM me anytime,
Robert
Old 01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Europe, Porter Cable are not available. So I use a Bosch PEX 12, an orbital polisher. I use Meguiar pads as I found their design to access most spots on the car, even inside the rain gutters. I use a 5" backing plate with 6.5 inch pads.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT 993
I don't care for the polymer products like Zaino and Rejex etc. that bond to the paint.
PM me anytime,
Robert
Completely agree with your statement... my opinion once expressed almost started a fire fight. But I tried them and NO, they don't compare.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:52 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most modern cars have a clearcoat - it is not your paint that is scratched, but the clearcoat.

It takes almost nothing to scratch the clearcoat - forunately the scratch are very shallow and a fine polish can remove or smooth the edges to restore the gloss.

I agree with the statement about the use of a PC and fine foam pads - I don't see how you could harm the paint unless you fell dead on top of machine and it continued running for an hour or more. I am certain someone has a horror story to prove me wrong, but moderate pressure moving in a figure eight pattern makes polishing easy enough my kids can do it.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBH
Most modern cars have a clearcoat - it is not your paint that is scratched, but the clearcoat.

It takes almost nothing to scratch the clearcoat - forunately the scratch are very shallow and a fine polish can remove or smooth the edges to restore the gloss.

I agree with the statement about the use of a PC and fine foam pads - I don't see how you could harm the paint unless you fell dead on top of machine and it continued running for an hour or more. I am certain someone has a horror story to prove me wrong, but moderate pressure moving in a figure eight pattern makes polishing easy enough my kids can do it.
The "clear coat" is in fact paint, so in reality your paint is scratched. It may not be the pigmented paint but it's paint all the same.

These scratches are usually introduced from improper washing and drying. We call them "halo scratches" or "marring". They are NOT "swirls" as swirls are micro scratches left over from rotary polishing. Basically the one buffing did not properly finish the job.

A PC is a nice tool for applying waxes and polishes but if you wish to remove scratches then you bought the wrong tool. The PC will does not generate enough heat and friction to properly abrade away paint. Your hand can generate more heat. The PC bogs down when you apply pressure and again your hand alone can perform better. The only adavantage the PC has over your hand is that it keeps going long after your hand, wrist and arm is a big noodle!

So again the PC does a nice job of laying down wax, sealants and glazes but don't expect it to level down your paint. A Cyclo is far better and a rotary beats them both.

Griots is nice but highly overpriced. 3M, Hi-Temp, Menzerna and ValuGuard products offer professional products which, in my professional opinion, are far better, in use and price.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Sanity check request before I order the Porter Cable