Car car products

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 07:45 AM
HiFiGuy66
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caution regarding Simple Green

Hi All,

I'm mew here (and to Porsches in general.) I'm waiting for my '86 944 NA to be delivered.

I saw something over at the (Truimph) Bonneville America motorcycle forums that might interest y'all concerning Simple Green. This is copy/pasted from there:

Just an advisory against using Simple Green (or similar household) cleaner on your bikes. A recent study in the aviation field found that the Ph is such that it can cause brittling and other damage when used on aluminum and other alloyed surfaces. The damage isn't initially apparent to the naked eye, but it will eventually result in pitting, powdering, crazing, and other evident corrosion.

Here's a link to the full thread:

http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/for...0&page=0#85132

I hope this helps someone avoid possible damage to these fine automobiles. I sure won't be using any on my Porsche (or my Triumph for that matter.)
Old 03-12-2006, 05:47 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use products from graniteautogrooming.com. The guy's name is Rich Light in Vegas. I was top three best paints at the big auctions two years in a row in Scottsdale AZ. European Car Magazine editor in chief Les Bidrawn and writer Pablo Mazlumian said in print "nicest black paint we'ver ever seen". Some of my paint is stock too! Rich knows Sal Zaino, took his wax, analized it, took what he liked from it, improved what he didn't and makes his own product. It's now starting to sell like crazy. I would like some of you guys to give it a try and let me know what you think compared to Zaino and PS21 as I too have read Guru Reports and they came out on top. Rich didn't have his wax ready for the test. It's all I've ever used and it kept beading on my car for over eighteen months traveling cross country through rain, snow, and salt. I would just like other opinions from experienced detailers after their comparisons. If you call him and tell him Joe Cervantes sent you I know he'll give you a discount too. I know the stuff is good, but like it's been said here, it's a lot of "ease of use" as I want to start detailing my car myself instead of spending a big mortgage payment to have it done. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:16 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Interior cleaning: Griot's Interior Cleaner. This stuff is amazing. You can use it on leather, vinyl, plastic, whatever. It is safe, has never discolored anthing. It is silicone-free, so not greasy at all...just leaves the interior really clean. I even spray it on the carpet and mats before using a carpet brush to bring all the dirt to the surface....then I vaccuum it.
i second this. I buy this stuff by the gallon. Its mild but it has teeth and will cut through most anything w/o harming the stuff you are cleaning. Of any product I use -- wax, wheel cleaner, polish, microfibers, etc etc etc, Griots Interior Cleaner is the one product I could not live without. It does its job better than any other product designed for a specific job Ive ever used. Its so versatile. I use it to clean the leather on the doors, the carpet(!!), the trim, everything. I feel it works best on carpet though.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:47 AM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told boat wax is better then any of the car waxes and I also looked into a product called 5 star http://www.trustmymechanic.com/carwax.html I dont know anything about this subject so maybe someone can give some info.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:40 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

Wait a minute. Are you guys telling me that Souveren is better than Zainos? Please clarify as Zainos is the best I've seen on my Silver 997S.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blitz951
I was told boat wax is better then any of the car waxes and I also looked into a product called 5 star http://www.trustmymechanic.com/carwax.html I dont know anything about this subject so maybe someone can give some info.
5 Star is hype. I have one beta sealant that was designed for me by a chemist and it is the most durable stuff I have ever used BUT even that has only lasted around a year, with no "booster" applications.

I don't detail boats so I can't really respond there. Most likely they are the same waxes and manufacturers put different labels on them.

As for Zaino, or any other product being the "best"..... that's all subjective.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

ANTHONY-Moving subjects on you--what do you suggest for tires to give a glossy finish that will not attract road grime or throw onto the side of my car? thx
Old 06-15-2006, 01:01 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
ANTHONY-Moving subjects on you--what do you suggest for tires to give a glossy finish that will not attract road grime or throw onto the side of my car? thx
Have you tried Poorboys "Bold N Bright"? It's a water-based dressing that can be sprayed or wiped on. I prefer it as a wipe on as there is no wasted product. It gives a very nice sheen but several light applications give you a glossier finish and it doesn't spin off onto the body work.

If you want a high shine then Hi-Temps "Grape Dressing" is the way to go but it's a solvent based dressing and I don't care for that type of base being used on tires....it gives one heck of a gloss though!!

I also use Optimum "Tire Shine". It lasts longer than the Poorboys and gives perhaps a bit more gloss with the first application. It's a spray dressing and while it can be sponged on you'll get the best results with a fine mist sprayer.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Anthony
Old 06-15-2006, 01:12 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiFiGuy66
Hi All,

Just an advisory against using Simple Green (or similar household) cleaner on your bikes. A recent study in the aviation field found that the Ph is such that it can cause brittling and other damage when used on aluminum and other alloyed surfaces.
We covered this last week - the quoted report:

a) Was old
b) Involved tests where aluminum was submerged in SG for hundreds of hours, not just sprayed on and rinsed off after cleaning.
c) Was only on aircraft aluminum
d) Concluded that the 'corrosion' was caused by SG getting into seams between panels, and not being rinsed out properly - it then became a dielectric causing a chemical reaction between panels.

Other people have experienced issues when they soaked their bike chains in SG for days/weeks - go figure.

SG is non corrosive, and poses no threat to your wheels.

Use as instructed, and rinse off after cleaning.

This sensantional FUD makes good forum fodder, but it's still FUD.

Chris.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:06 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Anthony, thanks for your advice. I'll pick them up this week. I have been using Armorall and it's just so messy and doesn't provide the best shine on the tires. thx
Old 06-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

No problem

Whatever dressing you happen to use (in spray version) make sure you knock it down with a sponge so it won't sling off. The Hi-Temp Grape Dressing is really glossy so what I do is spray the tires right after washing and drying and I allow it to soak in the whole time I am detailing the rest of the car. Then the last thing I do is knock the excess off with a sponge.

Happy detailing,
Anthony
Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
Have you tried Poorboys "Bold N Bright"? It's a water-based dressing that can be sprayed or wiped on. I prefer it as a wipe on as there is no wasted product. It gives a very nice sheen but several light applications give you a glossier finish and it doesn't spin off onto the body work.

If you want a high shine then Hi-Temps "Grape Dressing" is the way to go but it's a solvent based dressing and I don't care for that type of base being used on tires....it gives one heck of a gloss though!!

I also use Optimum "Tire Shine". It lasts longer than the Poorboys and gives perhaps a bit more gloss with the first application. It's a spray dressing and while it can be sponged on you'll get the best results with a fine mist sprayer.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Anthony
I chose the Optimum, a little more environmentally friendly. I ordered a gallon as it's the cheapest way to buy the stuff. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:34 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Foam gun evaluation: Nice piece of equipment which is a good compliment to a bucket full of soapy water. I paid $50 for it and used Zainos car wash. The Foam Gun sprayed one inch thick foam all over my car. I have to admit, I probably wasted a lot just because I was having fun with the darn thing. Then I followed up with my soapy water and wool wash mit. The Foam Gun adds additional protection against scratches and really helps get things clean. I give it a 9 out of a possible ten. The device has a quick disconnect collar allowing you to disconnect the soap bowl so you can rinse. I also cleaned the windows around my house (outside of course), my iron gate and lawn chairs. I'm telling you, this thing is pretty coooool. Cheers.

http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by SilverSteel; 06-18-2006 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add pic and link...
Old 06-18-2006, 03:04 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ooooooooo new toy!

Does it have a standard screw in hose connector?

Chris.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:25 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Holding the device in your hands, you quickly realize there's no genius involved, just ingeniuity and quality. Most of the pieces are brass and the parts are well put togeher with thought going into the smallest details like strain basket filters on the inlet side (not necessary, but usefuly in reducing clogs), a quick disconnect piece to remove the spray bottle from the soap bowl so I can store the bowl without emptying it. Yes the gun screws directly into your hose. And, it doesn't leak at all.

Quick Reply: Car car products