Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 12:50 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wax question

Hi everybody,

Has anyone used AutoSport Yellow Carnauba Wax? I washed/clayed/washed my car this weekend. Paint looked great after this. Good shine and few scratches or swirls. I worked on some of them and then applied the Autosport wax. I am very pleased with the results. I applied the wax by hand and buffed with a PC7424. And by hand.

Anyone had any experiences with this wax? Is it going to last for awhile?

Also, is a polish supposed to be used before waxing? What polishes do you use?

Sorry for all the questions. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone has a good week.

chuck
Old 08-04-2004, 03:06 PM
JHowell37
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never used that brand of wax before but it, like most other high-end waxes doesn't usually last too long (1-2 months if you're lucky.) If you're going to use a polish use it before you use the wax or else it will just remove the wax. I use 3M Swirl Mark Remover. Polishes can do several things. They can serve as a paint cleaner. They can remove imperfections in the paint. And they can remove oxidation. They usually leave a nice shine as well. The polish you use should be determined by the task you are trying to accomplish. You should have several different bottles on hand so you can select the best one. If you are trying to remove paint scratches you want to start with the least abbrasive polish you can find. You can tell how abbrasive a polish is by looking at the label. They will usually have a label saying "removes 1500 grit sanding marks." Whatever the number is determines how abbrasive it is. And higher numbers mean less abbrasion of paint. You want to use the most mild formula to eliminate the scratches and swirls. Also alot of polishes are meant for use on a rotary polisher not an orbital like you have. You can pick up a rotary from Auto Zone for less than 50$. That's what I use. After I bought my polisher I spent over 100$ for some quality pads and a back plate from 3M. You can cheap out on the polisher, don't do it on the pads. Rotary polishers are tricky at first, and always messy. Once you get the hang of it, the results can be very good. But 3M swirl mark remover is my current favorite, and it's readily obtainable.

Quick Reply: Wax question