Notices

Car wash steps

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 09:05 PM
dvu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Car wash steps

Hello all, I’m guessing this has been touched on somewhere but couldn’t find it. Also looked through google and wasn’t able to find a lot of detail. Just wondering how you go about washing car with foam cannon. Here’s what I got so far

1) rinse
2) foam cannon and let sit for a few minutes
3) rinse
4) if stuck on grime then hand wash
5) dry.

if you go to handwashing, do you guys use the two bucket system? Is there any problem with using a foam cannon to spray back on foam and then wash with mit?

Lastly I was a Zaino person in the early 2000s. Does anybody here still use zaino?

thx, duc

Last edited by dvu; 08-25-2024 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 06:47 AM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Some nice vids that cover it:

Old 08-26-2024, 06:46 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 367 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by dvu
Hello all, I’m guessing this has been touched on somewhere but couldn’t find it. Also looked through google and wasn’t able to find a lot of detail. Just wondering how you go about washing car with foam cannon. Here’s what I got so far

1) rinse
3) rinse
5) dry.

if you go to handwashing, do you guys use the two bucket system? Is there any problem with using a foam cannon to spray back on foam and then wash with mit?

Lastly I was a Zaino person in the early 2000s. Does anybody here still use zaino?

thx, duc
That's basically my process. Wheels first if they're dirty. Here's a video covering Obsessed Garage's process:

I was also a Zaino guy... I still use it on my Honda Fit, but not on my Porsche. I guess Zaino is from the days before ceramic coating was widespread.
Old 08-26-2024, 08:21 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,231 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Friends of mine use Zaino. Use whatever works for you and causes you to wash your car when it needs it. There are more advanced systems out there and product lines, but paint is still paint. Clean it and protect it and you'll be fine.

My process, basically after every drive is the following:
Wash wheels with Gyeon car shampoo in both a bucket and also in a foaming sprayer. Wheel woolies and the Obsessed garage mitt. Gyeon tire cleaner for tires.
Wash paint with Gyeon car shampoo, two bucket method. Microfiber madness mitts. One for most of car, separate one for lower areas that are dirtier.
Dry car with Ego blower. Eventually will get Big boi dryer. I like Metro vac and their quality, but a metal tube on wheels next to my paint freaks me out. Big boi is plastic. Dry with other rag company towels for remaining water. Clean glass after. May use drying aid on paint as well.

I've avoided a pressure washer altogether. Having to get out additional tools is just a hassle for me. I like my washes to be efficient. I also wash at 6-7am, frequently, on a Sunday. My neighbors I'm sure wouldn't appreciate a pressure washer at that time.

With your process above, I would never do a fully touchless wash. Yes, I've seen people say they can do it and still get the car clean, but I think washing with a traditional mitt is important.

Rinseless washes like with Optimum no rinse are popular too. It has a lot of pros, but I also feel nothing gets a car quite as clean as traditional soap and water coming out of a hose.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:43 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Friends of mine use Zaino. Use whatever works for you and causes you to wash your car when it needs it. There are more advanced systems out there and product lines, but paint is still paint. Clean it and protect it and you'll be fine.

My process, basically after every drive is the following:
Wash wheels with Gyeon car shampoo in both a bucket and also in a foaming sprayer. Wheel woolies and the Obsessed garage mitt. Gyeon tire cleaner for tires.
Wash paint with Gyeon car shampoo, two bucket method. Microfiber madness mitts. One for most of car, separate one for lower areas that are dirtier.
Dry car with Ego blower. Eventually will get Big boi dryer. I like Metro vac and their quality, but a metal tube on wheels next to my paint freaks me out. Big boi is plastic. Dry with other rag company towels for remaining water. Clean glass after. May use drying aid on paint as well.

I've avoided a pressure washer altogether. Having to get out additional tools is just a hassle for me. I like my washes to be efficient. I also wash at 6-7am, frequently, on a Sunday. My neighbors I'm sure wouldn't appreciate a pressure washer at that time.

With your process above, I would never do a fully touchless wash. Yes, I've seen people say they can do it and still get the car clean, but I think washing with a traditional mitt is important.

Rinseless washes like with Optimum no rinse are popular too. It has a lot of pros, but I also feel nothing gets a car quite as clean as traditional soap and water coming out of a hose.
i agree with all of the above comments as that is about my routine each weekend. The only thing I do differently is use prewash in an IK Foam sprayer, let dwell and hose off 90% of everything with a hose. As I too don’t have a pressure washer, this regime works best for me and depending on the weather, will usually get me by for the work week with a final contact wash on Sunday morning or afternoon.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:41 PM
kster
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

1) rinse
3) rinse
5) dry.
I pretty much do the same. If the car is really dirty I'll start with rinseless in a Marolex sprayer to presoak. I always hand wash but use 4-6 wash mitts, this way, there is no need for a bucket of soap. Just keep swapping to a clean wash mitt after a couple of sections. And more recently I've started migrating to KLiN drying towels (they are my favorite by far).

Quick Reply: Car wash steps