Notices

Ceramic pro installer ruined my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 09:43 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Ceramic pro installer ruined my car

Appreciate any opinions. Took my 1995 993 to a ceramic pro elite dealer in Florida. Previously had car wet sanded buffed about 7 years ago and it looked great. Well dealer said paint correction needed to be done again before 5 year coating. Well when I went to pick up car they admitted they burned through the paint when buffing. Blamed it on a previous respray (never happened) and they resprayed it at the shop before I knew.,had me come back with it 4 weeks later and it looks like crap. I think what got me mad was he said it looked good. Orange peel specks In the paint (which dealer blamed on fiberglass in a car cover ( sorry but cover is 100% cotton) so I’m getting top resprayed not through him as I have no confidence in them or their reference shop.first step see if he pays up. Second dispute work on CC charge. Third small claims court. Sad thing this could have all been prevented with a paint meter.
Old 07-20-2024, 05:12 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 443 Posts

Lots to unpack.

When you had it wet sanded 7 years ago, that took off some of the paint (and clear coat, assuming it is not a single stage paint and it has clear coat - single stage paint might be the problem). A paint correction never HAS to be done before applying ceramic coating, however recommended, yes, otherwise you're just 'sealing' with the coating all those scratches you can see now. At least they admitted the burned through the paint, now what are they doing about it to fix that issue as it stands now? Orange peel is not necessarily a bad thing, that starts with the initial paint application, not something a detailer would do.

Have you owned the car for the life of the car? If not, maybe it was resprayed and you just don't know it.

I would be upset, yes, however you, as the owner, need to take some responsibility in this as well and checked it with a paint gauge/meter before you brought it to a shop. Always research the shops you bring cars to for detailing and PPF installation as they are varying levels of "professionals" out there. The paint, if original, is 30 years old and probably not without it's own issues. I just detailed a 1980 Corvette for an elderly gentleman as a favor and was crazy super careful in using polish, pads, and the speeds of the polisher that I used.

Do you have some pics of before and after?
Old 08-05-2024, 12:59 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 114 Posts

Dealer and I have reached a settlement and all damage has been corrected and I appreciate the ability to resolve this amicably
The following users liked this post:
ctdwp (08-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Ceramic pro installer ruined my car