Invicashield removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 01:19 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Invicashield removal tips?

Hi,

So about 15 years ago I installed pre-cut Invicashield paint protection film on my 993’s rear fenders and the rear bumper cover areas that curve inward just behind the rear wheels. I purchased the car from the prior owner who apparently had some areas of the car resprayed. The job was pretty good and not so obvious. I would
have passed on the car knowing a few things I learned about it over time (resprayed areas being one of them) but much of that was sorted with lots of $$$$.

I knew that I was covering
up some peppered road rash areas
but I just didn’t want it to get worse than it already was. Perhaps not the greatest choice but it is what it is and I can’t avoid the fact that there
were many paint chips (road rash) on the areas that were covered with the Invicashield.

So I have now decided it’s time to address some of that. My plan is to remove the Invicashield and then use dr color chip to conceal the areas that got some peppering. Once that has been done I’ll go have these areas wrapped again. Probably will go with a custom cut job using XPEL. The guy that wraps all of the Singer cars is local to me and custom wrapped my bumper cover and RS splitters to absolute perfection. So I know
the dr color chip method isn’t perfect but this is a black car and the contrast of chips is super apparent. Touch ups that lay beneath an new wrap will no doubt look 1000x’s better. The car is 25 years old at this point so will never be perfect but this should really clean things up.

So getting back to the main point here: what is the safest way to remove this Invicashield without possibly pulling off paint? The fact is that I’m not totally certain about all of the different areas of the car where the paint isn’t original. It’s possible (for example) that one fender was resprayed and the other not. So I really want to be extra cautious how I go about this removal. I’ve heard heating things up with a hair dryer helps but I figure some of you guys may have some experience with the removal of this specific product.

Sorry for the long post but felt I needed to be super clear about the exact situation in order to elicit the best advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 2ndof2; 12-18-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:12 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Would try heat, preferably in the form of steam. However, a heat gun might also do the trick. It is the 15 years that might make this more than a simple afternoon job. Patience and pulling at an angle [acute angle of about 10-20 degrees] will be critical.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,192 Posts

Agree on steam. You could also hire a professional to do it, someone like Moe from Glistening Perfection. https://www.glisteningperfection.com/services.php I have no experience with him personally but he's about 1.5 hours away from you and he's a sponsor on here. I've followed his work for years online.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:01 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Hi,

So about 15 years ago I installed pre-cut Invicashield paint protection film on my 993’s rear fenders and the rear bumper cover areas that curve inward just behind the rear wheels. I purchased the car from the prior owner who apparently had some areas of the car resprayed. The job was pretty good and not so obvious. I would
have passed on the car knowing a few things I learned about it over time (resprayed areas being one of them) but much of that was sorted with lots of $$$$.

I knew that I was covering
up some peppered road rash areas
but I just didn’t want it to get worse than it already was. Perhaps not the greatest choice but it is what it is and I can’t avoid the fact that there
were many paint chips (road rash) on the areas that were covered with the Invicashield.

So I have now decided it’s time to address some of that. My plan is to remove the Invicashield and then use dr color chip to conceal the areas that got some peppering. Once that has been done I’ll go have these areas wrapped again. Probably will go with a custom cut job using XPEL. The guy that wraps all of the Singer cars is local to me and custom wrapped my bumper cover and RS splitters to absolute perfection. So I know
the dr color chip method isn’t perfect but this is a black car and the contrast of chips is super apparent. Touch ups that lay beneath an new wrap will no doubt look 1000x’s better. The car is 25 years old at this point so will never be perfect but this should really clean things up.

So getting back to the main point here: what is the safest way to remove this Invicashield without possibly pulling off paint? The fact is that I’m not totally certain about all of the different areas of the car where the paint isn’t original. It’s possible (for example) that one fender was resprayed and the other not. So I really want to be extra cautious how I go about this removal. I’ve heard heating things up with a hair dryer helps but I figure some of you guys may have some experience with the removal of this specific product.

Sorry for the long post but felt I needed to be super clear about the exact situation in order to elicit the best advice. Thanks in advance!
if you’re talking about old ppf, better give it to your ppf installer as he/she should have plenty experience removing old ppf

it'll take time, lots of steam, or if you’re lucky, someone near you has dry ice blasting and that’s safer when it comes to not removing paint

depending on quality of respray, be prepared to repaint

hope that helps

Quick Reply: Invicashield removal tips?