Notices

Paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020 | 10:55 PM
sandels24
3rd Gear

Default Paint chips

I just bought my first Porsche, a 2010 black Cayman, that has lots of small paint chips on the hood. I dont think touch up paint will adhere because the chips are quite shallow (but white spots still show). Are there any other recommendations to fill in the shallow chips? Any quality markers? I am planning on putting a ceramic coating on the car so would like to take care of the chips first. Thanks
Old 10-08-2020 | 06:57 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Dr colorchip. You can just smear the paint on and then use their special removal liquid to remove the excess paint. Otherwise, you could repaint the hood, just be sure to take photos documenting that the reason for repaint was rock chips.
The following users liked this post:
sandels24 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020 | 09:55 AM
sandels24
3rd Gear

Thanks Bxstr, Appreciate the quick response. I will check out Dr. Colorchip
Old 10-11-2020 | 09:58 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandels24
Thanks Bxstr, Appreciate the quick response. I will check out Dr. Colorchip
Anytime, let me know if you have any questions. There are more advanced solutions that will take more time and possibly look a bit better, but nothing is going to protect and look as good as quickly as Dr Colorchip.
Old 10-19-2020 | 10:21 PM
Tim7139
Rennlist Member

With certain colors ( your’s is the best) there is a much better way to go if you are the least bit DIY.
Get a touchup paint kit, will consist of color & clear, and a good pair of glasses or An optivisor.
First, clean chips with a wax remover/ prepsol. You need small toothpicks. First step is to put a small dab right in the middle of the chip, don’t slobber it all over, you want the color to flow to the EDGES of the chip, not over them.
Give it a couple days, big chips might need 2nd dose. You still have a chip, now with color.
Next step is to get clear( all these cars are clear coated) , same process, might take 2-3 applications, but the mission now is to bring the chip level ABOVE paint surface. Every layer must dry....this is easy but takes multiple days.
Next you get some 600-800 wet/ dry paper and a staples paper hole punch and make yourself some nice little round 1/4” sanding discs which you are going to glue to a pencil erasor.
with you magnifiers, and you nose about an inch away, with ample water to keep flushing, you are now going to bring the lumpy chips down to paint level with light, wet, circular motion. This goes pretty quick.
Don’t be alarmed, they all get off color....what your looking for is nice and flat with minimal impact to surrounding finish.When you’re all done, you break out the scratch remover( Meguires is great) , then light polish, then final polish until it all clears and glosses right up.
Those chips will all but disappear.
This can be done by hand but the final steps are done better with orbital and foam pad.
This is how high end shops deal with high end paint repair.

Last edited by Tim7139; 10-22-2020 at 11:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tim7139:
Patriot (09-04-2021), Van Larson (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020 | 03:11 PM
sandels24
3rd Gear

Thank you Tim7139 for the detailed response!

Quick Reply: Paint chips