Notices

Detailing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 12:59 PM
tmuchacho
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Detailing Question

This is a bit of a weird one. Last two car waxes on my 19 Cayenne, I've noticed very tiny dots that look similar to overspray mainly but not only on the hood. The are not all over, but on the hood alone you may have to address a dozen or so on the Biscay Blue color which makes the white dots stand out. First wax was Nu Finish, second one about 9 month later was Meguiars Carnuba. The wax goes on fine, is completely removed with no evidence of residue, and then weeks and months later these tiny dots that are tightly adhered appear. I remove them gently with one of those square plastic fasteners found on bread or english muffin packaging. I'm baffled since I am thoroughly removing the wax residue and then giving the surface a final once over with a clean buffing microfiber cloth. Any help would be appreciated, and I should add, I've never encountered this before after owning maybe 20 cars over the years. Another note, the paint on the Cayenne seems to be pretty soft.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Try testing one of the (stinky) products that eliminates iron contamination.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

I don't think it is your wax. Think about where you park. Are you parking under any trees that are dropping things? Do you park near an industrial area? Is there any painting going on in your area? Do you live by an airport and it could be jet fuel particles? Is it just normal contamination?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:08 PM
glenn1d
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a good wash followed by a claying. It sounds like you have some bonded contaminants.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tmuchacho
This is a bit of a weird one. Last two car waxes on my 19 Cayenne, I've noticed very tiny dots that look similar to overspray mainly but not only on the hood. The are not all over, but on the hood alone you may have to address a dozen or so on the Biscay Blue color which makes the white dots stand out. First wax was Nu Finish, second one about 9 month later was Meguiars Carnuba. The wax goes on fine, is completely removed with no evidence of residue, and then weeks and months later these tiny dots that are tightly adhered appear. I remove them gently with one of those square plastic fasteners found on bread or english muffin packaging. I'm baffled since I am thoroughly removing the wax residue and then giving the surface a final once over with a clean buffing microfiber cloth. Any help would be appreciated, and I should add, I've never encountered this before after owning maybe 20 cars over the years. Another note, the paint on the Cayenne seems to be pretty soft.
As someone has already mentioned, it sounds like you have some type of fallout from the atmosphere and/or your surroundings. We would recommend that you try a few things to remove the contamination that you have:
  1. Use an iron removing product on the entire car (check out this link)
  2. Use a tar remover (check out this link)
  3. Clay the entire car (check out the video below)
    • Claying the car will leave light marring on your car's finish, so you should plan to polish the paint afterwards.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbr4QbKYIFM&t
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
The following 2 users liked this post by Esoteric_Detail:
BudgetPlan1 (03-10-2020), Monetthecat (03-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Detailing Question