Notices

Detailers, do you clean the intercoolers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 04:23 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Detailers, do you clean the intercoolers?

Question for seasoned detailers.

It just occurred to me that, while we like to keep our cars nice and shiny (including the front radiators) our intercoolers just end up with whatever flows down the air path (water, grime, soap, sealant and a bunch of other crap).

is there a product that’s both safe and efficient enough to shoot in there to clean everything out of there?

do you remove the rear bumper and a few parts to access the outer cores and clean them?
Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 PM
Envious Eric
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with enough $ spend, anything can be cleaned and addressed.

P21s total auto wash would be safe I assume.
Air compressor for any look stuff

I wouldnt use a pressure washer and mess up the fins (collapses them if too much pressure)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Yes radiator cleaning should be part of any long term maintenance/care of a car that you intend to keep for a long time. On the Spyder I tape off the trim with blue painters tape and then use a narrrow vacuum wand to suck out the dirt, debris and leaves. Once it’s all cleaned out I gently with a microfiber. For a deeper clean the front bumper would have to come off.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:59 PM
ZerOG
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Yes radiator cleaning should be part of any long term maintenance/care of a car that you intend to keep for a long time. On the Spyder I tape off the trim with blue painters tape and then use a narrrow vacuum wand to suck out the dirt, debris and leaves. Once it’s all cleaned out I gently with a microfiber. For a deeper clean the front bumper would have to come off.
I’m asking about cleaning the intercoolers on the 991.2 3.0L cars.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:07 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

I haven't done this yet, but a low pressure steam cleaning (hand pump w/low pressure) with a gentle degreaser (ie, Simple Green or similar). Or remove cooler and immerse in gentle degreaser..
Old 03-17-2020, 12:23 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ZerOG
Question for seasoned detailers.

It just occurred to me that, while we like to keep our cars nice and shiny (including the front radiators) our intercoolers just end up with whatever flows down the air path (water, grime, soap, sealant and a bunch of other crap).

is there a product that’s both safe and efficient enough to shoot in there to clean everything out of there?

do you remove the rear bumper and a few parts to access the outer cores and clean them?
I do a my 996tt, 996tt a town over and a 997tt same town. Compressed air with portable compressor through intercoolers, to blow out leaves, then simple green and on 1:16 mixture in a foam cannon into scoops and up in intercooler, use garden hose sprayer to clean. Once 6mo to a year is enough.

Quick Reply: Detailers, do you clean the intercoolers?