Notices

Infrared to remove PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 11:48 AM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Infrared to remove PPF?

A nearby prominent body shop said they would use infrared lights instead of steam or a hot gun to remove paint protection film (PPF). Has anybody heard of using infrared lights to remove PPF and is it better than steam?
Old 11-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

I have not heard of it. Steam has been what I have heard of most recently. Seems to work quite well. But as long as they get the film off safely, that is all that matters. If they have done it before with good results and you have seen their work, I would have them do it.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by no-subt2
A nearby prominent body shop said they would use infrared lights instead of steam or a hot gun to remove paint protection film (PPF). Has anybody heard of using infrared lights to remove PPF and is it better than steam?
Stick with steam. Steam provides the concentrated heat that will allow you/a shop to properly remove the film without issues. IR lamps don't provide enough concentrated heat to soften the adhesive as you are removing the film.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I have not heard of it. Steam has been what I have heard of most recently. Seems to work quite well. But as long as they get the film off safely, that is all that matters. If they have done it before with good results and you have seen their work, I would have them do it.
+1
HRE Wheels . Vossen Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 11-30-2019, 08:33 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 756 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by no-subt2
i believe the above choices offered by body shop are what they have readily available, it not the optimal choice for ppf removal.

I would use steam first, but I have personally used infrared before and it does warm the ppf enough to install, but I’m not sure about removal

Quick Reply: Infrared to remove PPF?