Notices

Your Favorite DIY Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 825 Posts
Default Your Favorite DIY Ceramic Coating

I intentionally didn't title this "The Best DIY Ceramic Coating" because we all know how those kinds of threads turn out.

There's a million different ceramic coat products out there now and my impression is that they aren't quite all the same. So, I thought I'd ask some of you detailing-obsessed folk for your recommendations. My only criteria is that it is a commercially available product, as I'm a DIYer and I won't be paying for a professional application.

Based on the research I've done thus far, I'm currently leaning towards Armour Shield IX by AvalonKing. It seems to get positive reviews and the price point is appealing.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

I like Cquartz, it isn't the easiest to use but I've been using it on cars for 5 years. It hits its advertised longevity, I've seen it last longer if maintained well.
The following users liked this post:
9914s (10-25-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Envious Eric
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have something for you to use...if you are interested, pricing is very reasonable, and results are quite stunning. Ease of application is one of the best

SupremeDetailSupply.com
Capt. Obvious (10-21-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Is this the product you use in your shop on customer cars?
Old 10-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Envious Eric
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its one of them, yes!
Old 10-23-2019, 06:44 AM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

For me and my individual preferences, Kamikaze has exceeded my expectations and is what is on my personal cars. 22ple is a very, very close 2nd...excellent products as well.

Kamikaze offers a bit more complexity and depth of appearance than 22ple and the Zipang offering with its "...semi self-healing characteristics, meaning that the appearance of small swirls or imperfections in the coating surface will reduce when exposed to heat.", is a nice plus. Not a suit of self healing armor by any means but a nice benefit.

The Kamikaze stuff just plain works for me and I enjoy using it.

However...

First thing you should do is decide what YOU want out of a coating; things to consider:

1. Durability, longevity

2. What kind of appearance? i.e. hard, candy-like gloss or deeper, warmer wax-like glow

3. Ease of application important?

4. Climate; what might work nice in Arizona (dry) might not be so nice in New Jersey (rain/snow)

5. Do you like beading or sheeting?

6. Are self-cleaning characteristics important to you or are you gonna wash your car weekly regardless?

7. How much do you wanna spend?

8. Daily driver or hobby car?

While quartz/glass/ceramic coatings are all in the same general category with respect to LSP’s, there are subtle differences in them and you may as well go with one that is strong in your primary areas of concern.

And FWIW, claims of hardness, scratch resistance and such are, IMO, way over-marketed with coatings. While they may provide some minor resistance to light marring, it's a harsh world out there and many things (jewelry banging paint around door handles, boxes hitting trunk areas while loading, leaning on hood of vehicle with grimy sweatshirts, etc) *will* leave a mark. Problem with coatings is the only way to remedy those marks/marring is to re-polish (removing coating) and re-coating that area, generally an entire panel as many coatings don't lend themselves well to spot fixes. If you're horribly OCD-ish about having a totally defect free car for 2 years, a coating may not be the best way to go...

Longevity is likewise impossible to truly predict due to variations in climate, vehicle usage and maintenance habits. Claims listed on packages/advertisements are generally somewhat, uh...optimistic. Not always, but usually...

I live in NE Ohio so all ny findings/thoughts are based on that climate. The characteristics of a coating that matter most to me are:

1. Great Self Cleaning Abilities: Our cars see rain and often get rained on in the morning and then sit outside in the sun in the afternoon; don’t like waterspots. I like clean cars but don’t like cleaning cars.

2. Durability and resistance to environmental contamination like water spots and bird bombs. Don’t wanna have to worry about running home and immediately dealing with removing things that would otherwise etch bare paint. Like hard water spots did to our Corvette during the Zaino years. Also has to last cuz I don’t wanna be hauling out compounds and polishes every Spring, given reasonable maintenance.

3. Appearance: Well, stuff has to look good. Has to accentuate body lines, curves and hard edges. It needs to make me stop and admire it when walking towards it, walking away from it or catching a glance in the garage when I take out the garbage.

Have tried a few different coatings, watched 'em over the course of 20k-40k miles in NE Ohio, variety of vehicle usage and maintenance patterns.

To be honest, of all the coatings I've tried, there were really no bad products but some did particular things a little better/different than others so I went with the one (s) that excelled in areas I found important.

Read, research, try a few if you can That's what yer wife's car is for, no? Experimentation! :lol:

YMMV

If you like reading, kept some notes and thoughts on coatings I have used over the past 2-3 years. Can find 'em here if interested:
https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/gl...amic-coatings/

We recently acquired a 981 Cayman S, little description here of what went on it: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/so...#Cayman_Detail

Edit: Whatever you use is gonna look killer on that car, love dark blues!

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 10-23-2019 at 08:35 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Capt. Obvious (10-23-2019), Esoteric_Detail (10-23-2019), Porsche Lee (10-31-2019), UpOnTheWheel (08-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:49 AM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I used to use 22ple products but recently switched to CQuartz UK 3.0. This latest formula is incredibly easy to use and now flashes almost right away so it’s pretty much wipe on, wipe off. Just coated my new Cayman S last weekend and the water beading is insane, with nice gloss.
BudgetPlan1 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

To semi-answer your questions above, my main reason for wanting to coat my car is that the paint on my car is soft. Like, really soft. As in, gently wiping some dust off the car with a clean microfiber or using a clean, soft terry cloth towel to dry it will leave visible marks (neither are normal procedures for me, but were done as tests when I noticed the paint was super soft). Overall, the paint is still too nice to warrant a re-paint, but not nice enough for the expense of wrapping it with protection film.

I know ceramic coats aren't some kind of magic paint protection armor, but they seem to be the best option aside from PPF and/or a repaint. I also have a young child, so I don't have time to spend hours keeping the car detailed and spotless on the weekends like I used to, so the self-cleaning properties are appealing to me. I want a coating that will (hopefully) help protect the car from (or hide) micro scratches a bit better than standard wax can. Also, I have semi-hard water at my house, so some protection from water spots would be helpful.

The car is a hobby car. Semi-daily driven during the summer and driven occasionally during the winter (2-3k miles a year) and it lives in a heated garage the rest of the time.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:00 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I know ceramic coats aren't some kind of magic paint protection armor, but they seem to be the best option aside from PPF and/or a repaint. I also have a young child, so I don't have time to spend hours keeping the car detailed and spotless on the weekends like I used to, so the self-cleaning properties are appealing to me. I want a coating that will (hopefully) help protect the car from (or hide) micro scratches a bit better than standard wax can. Also, I have semi-hard water at my house, so some protection from water spots would be helpful.
I'd do the Kamikaze bit with Miyabi & Zipang; while not as 'self-healing' as PPF like STEK Dynoshield or similar, it'll give you the best chance at reducing any light marring that may occur and still meet your requirement for a consumer-available product. Not the cheapest way to go for sure but after wading through a boxload of coatings, it's the best I've found that meets *my* requirements.

Any questions about it, contact the US Vendor for it (Esoteric in New Albany, OH) as they're a lot smarter about this stuff than I and have never steered me wrong yet.

Vid:

Edit: Worth noting that this is a very subjective topic, ask 20 people, get 25 different (and valid) answers...

Product description:

Zipang Coat by KAMIKAZE Collection not only represents an evolution in their world-renowned coatings that are hand-made in Japan, but it’s also the highest performing coating in the KAMIKAZE lineup.

Sticking with KAMIKAZE-Collection’s traditional development processes, Zipang Coat was created with ease of use in mind. This ease of use, along with the highest levels of performance, are what have made the KAMIKAZE coatings so popular with both the professional detailer and detailing enthusiasts alike.

With Zipang Coat, the chemistry provides even higher levels of gloss and brilliance than their ISM / ISM Pro coatings, and it offers semi self-healing characteristics, meaning that the appearance of small swirls or imperfections in the coating surface will reduce when exposed to heat.

For those looking for the ultimate in coating protection, we recommend Zipang Coat for its unmatched looks, hydrophobicity, ease of use, and semi self-healing technology. Durability is rated at 5+ years. Zipang Coat also provides a darkening effect to the paint (blacks will be deeper black, richer reds, etc), and has the ability to lightly fill small imperfections in the paint.

For maintaining Zipang Coat, we recommend washing the vehicle with a pH neutral shampoo like Gyeon Bathe or Bathe Essence, then using Kamikaze Over Coat every 4-6 washes.

Layering Options for Zipang Coat

Good: 1 layer of Zipang Coat

Better: Base layer of Kamikaze Miyabi Coat, topped with Zipang Coat

Best: Base layer of Zipang Coat, middle layer of Miyabi Coat, top layer of Zipang Coat (This will provide the best looks, best durability, and the most semi self-healing characteristics).

Application Instructions

1. Shake bottle
  2. Apply a small amount of Zipang Coat onto applicator cloth/block…enough for even coverage.
  3. Apply to surface in straight lines only (do not cross-hatch) with a little overlap to ensure a thick, even coverage to the surface.
  4. Using a 2-towel method (one designated for the initial wipe, the second to do the final wipe), gently remove the coating residue using small, circular motions after 3~5 minutes (1-2 panels at a time). Humidity levels and ambient temperature will have an effect on curing time, so the higher the temperature and humidity, the shorter the amount of time between application and removal.
  5. After applying to the entire vehicle, be sure to look carefully for “high spots”, or darker patches where the coating wasn’t fully removed. Wipe these down right away, otherwise they will require machine polishing to remove if allowed to cure overnight.
  6. Do not allow the vehicle to get wet for at least 24 hours (the longer, the better), and don’t wash vehicle for 1 week.
  7. If using multiple layers as outlined in “layering options”, give 1~2 hours between layers.

Important Notes

• Once the bottle of coating is opened, the curing process begins, even if you put the cap back on tightly. Once opened, you should use the coating within one month's time.
  • Please be sure to use all coatings as soon as you can from the time you receive them.
  • All coatings have a limited shelf life due to the chemical nature of how they crystallize. Look to use coatings within 4-6 months of receiving them (less if bottle is opened).
  • Do not use maintenance products other than Overcoat by KAMIKAZE.
  • Only use pH neutral shampoos, with no additives, gloss enhancers, waxes, or polymers.
  • Do not use any other types of toppers, coatings, waxes, sealants, no-rinse washes, or quick detailers with Zipang Coat. The looks, performance, and durability will suffer as a result!
  • Can be used on both painted surfaces, and plastic trim.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 10-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Esoteric_Detail (10-23-2019), Porsche Lee (10-31-2019), scr1244 (03-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2019, 12:28 AM
Tim7139
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

On the Cquartz, what are any considerations using it with front end covered with Xpel film ?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 PM
porsche14426
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a beautiful shine. The blue IMO is one of the best Porsche paint colors.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Hodgey
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motoo344
I like Cquartz, it isn't the easiest to use but I've been using it on cars for 5 years. It hits its advertised longevity, I've seen it last longer if maintained well.
How does this work out if the hood and front bumper have moderate road rash? Can you still use it or does it accentuate the paint damage?

Just considering doing my 2012 C2S (Black) with 37k miles

Neil

Quick Reply: Your Favorite DIY Ceramic Coating