Notices

paint repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 02:50 AM
Jd1368
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default paint repair

Hey all.. Im tackling paint repair on my 2008 c4s with factory aero kit. Lots of swirls and scratches, and lots of paint chips. I'm planning on using torq 10fx rotary and chemical guys v32-36 line.
Plan to wash, clay bar, and then work my way down from v36-v32 as needed.

couple questions...

At what step do you use the drcolorchip? before using the cutting compound? after?
I attached a picture of the front lip which is fairly destroyed from years of bottoming out... is it best to replace? any way to grind down and repair?
Is it easy to take off, and does anyone have any instructions how to remove it without breaking the clips?
Also, is there a way to take off the Carrera 4s lettering on the back to detail?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 556 Likes on 377 Posts

I usually do the Dr Colorchip after wash and clay, then Dr. Colorchip, then Polish.

Getting the emblem off is pretty straightforward with dental floss and 3M adhesive remover
Old 10-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

With dr colorchip I would do that after polishing, but just make sure that you dont pull too much of the paint out when you are polishing, especially if you use a microfiber cutting pad. So that is up to you on if you would prefer to do it after and just tape around each chip so you dont swirl up the area when using it.

You could sand down and repaint, or use plasti dip, but I would replace. There are instructions out there.

As mentioned, use dental floss, fishing line or something like that along with a heat gun. When removing it try and pull up on the emblem, more than dig down into the paint.

Quick Reply: paint repair