Notices

Rotary polishers no longer in use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rotary polishers no longer in use?

Everywhere I look, polishes are saying they're developed specifically for DA polishers.

I have a rotary I've been using for years and have managed to never have an "incident" due to paying close attention and using plenty of tape. I also have a cheapish DA which I use for the nano-scrub and for an interior brush, but find the vibration unbearable for paint correction.

I don't polish that often anymore, but I have a whole 2011 Cayenne turbo that needs a 2-step polish (was going to finish with Menzerna P085RD, but need to find a suitable medium-cut polish to use first as there are some deeper marks on this car). I would like to feel like the polishes I'm using are suitable for the rotary as opposed to having to "invest" a bunch of money in a nicer DA like a Rupes.

Am I a dinosaur?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes, technology has moved on. We rarely use a rotary in our operation.

HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 07-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For what it's worth, the better (more expensive) DA buffers have a lot less vibration. I started out with a Porter Cable 7424XP and it made my hands go numb from all the vibration. I also have this issue with my little 3" Griot's buffer. On my new Rupes LHR15 the vibrations are significantly less and it's much more comfortable to spend hours working on a car.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Some shops still use them, but if you are doing more than a car or two per year, invest in a Rupes. If not, get a Griots and you should be good.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a small Griot's now and the vibration is unbearable. I'm not polishing "professionally" anymore; just doing my own cars, realistically just once when I first get them and then the occasional 1-step a few years later. Glad to hear the Rupes is a lot easier to manage, vibration-wise. I figured that was the case.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:41 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

if you know what you are doing with a rotary, why stop now?
A rotary with a good wool bonnet and the right compound is faster than most any DA system.
nothing wrong with being a dinosaur if it works for you.

Quick Reply: Rotary polishers no longer in use?