looking for background on Midnight Blue '06 C2S from PA/KY/IL area

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 AM
Grant L
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for background on Midnight Blue '06 C2S from PA/KY/IL area

Hi all,

I'm currently considering making an offer on a Midnight Blue '06 C2S that has been floating around the PA, KY, IL area since new (according to Carfax) and is currently up for sale in IL.

It's a long shot, but I thought someone on this board may have seen it before on a message board or IRL as it looks like one of the previous owners dropped some money doing significant upgrades to the suspension (RSS Tarmac suspension kit, swaybars).

While the suspension work isn't necessarily a negative, I'm a little concerned that this car used to be someone's track toy and perhaps that even with low miles the car could have been used very hard.

Thanks in advance.

-Grant
Attached Images       
Old 11-22-2016, 04:51 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant L
Hi all,

I'm currently considering making an offer on a Midnight Blue '06 C2S that has been floating around the PA, KY, IL area since new (according to Carfax) and is currently up for sale in IL.

It's a long shot, but I thought someone on this board may have seen it before on a message board or IRL as it looks like one of the previous owners dropped some money doing significant upgrades to the suspension (RSS Tarmac suspension kit, swaybars).

While the suspension work isn't necessarily a negative, I'm a little concerned that this car used to be someone's track toy and perhaps that even with low miles the car could have been used very hard.

Thanks in advance.

-Grant
Don't know the car, but for me sway bars are always a sign that the car has been used very hard. An upgraded suspension may translate to overall better performance even on a daily drive (emphasis on may) and the adjustability of coilovers makes them pretty cool for aesthetic purposes as well...but sway bars if done right serve no other purpose than increase stability at high stress levels, and can ruin the daily drivability of a car. Car is stiffer and you really feel the bumps and the ride can get quite rough.

OTOH, playing devil's advocate, tracking a car with sway bars does less damage than a car that has been tracked without sway bars. Cars that are driven hard on a track in stock form tend to develop all sorts of little niggles and mystery sounds popping up due to the stress the OEM parts are put under. Also, wouldn't write the car off completely because a lot of shops that sell coilovers also offer the sway bars as part of a "complete suspension package", and the guy may have just had those installed because he had some money to burn.

Does the car have signs that roll-cages were installed or bucket seats? If not, then highly doubtful he did serious track time. The sway bars could indicate he did some tracking, but then that's not a certainty as I mentioned bc he could've gotten those done as part of the overall suspension package.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Grant L
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. Your thinking makes sense to me. The interior of the car shows no sign of the car being actually prepped for track use (no roll cage mounting points, no anchors for belts), so it's quite possible the car was just modified by someone with money to burn. I'm waiting for a PPI report that I ordered to get another POV as well.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:50 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grant L
Thanks for the reply. Your thinking makes sense to me. The interior of the car shows no sign of the car being actually prepped for track use (no roll cage mounting points, no anchors for belts), so it's quite possible the car was just modified by someone with money to burn. I'm waiting for a PPI report that I ordered to get another POV as well.

That sounds right and I hope the car works out for you, looks clean and fresh! Coilovers are an obvious plus, sway bars interestingly considering the amount they cost are almost always seen as a detriment!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:30 AM
Grant L
Intermediate

Thanks again for the replies. After receiving the PPI and a little negotiating I jumped in and bought it! Car was delivered this afternoon to me and I'm very hopeful that it will be smooth sailing ahead. Will also have a local shop give it a once over now just to be sure.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2016, 06:46 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

That rear view! You should consider getting the sway bars deleted, ride may seem very harsh.

Quick Reply: looking for background on Midnight Blue '06 C2S from PA/KY/IL area