Notices

Wheel Bearing Replacement question - 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 PM
WKC
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Replacement question - 996 TT

I'm needing a recommendation on a shop in the Dallas area that will replace 2 front wheel bearings on a 996 TT (seems like a common issue on low mileage 996 TTs). So far quotes are around $950 for the job (both fronts). Anyone know of a good dependable shop/mechanic that has more reasonable rates?

If the rates are all around $950, I was planning on doing it myself. In that case does anyone have access to a good hub/bearing puller like the OTC Hub Grappler? Its a rarely used tool for the DIY mechanic and If you already have one I could help offset your costs. Or I buy the kit completely. But if you have one, I wouldn't mind paying you a decent amount to rent it for a week or so while I work on it at my leisure. The kit costs around $450 new.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

Ken.

Last edited by WKC; 08-18-2016 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Location update
Old 08-31-2016, 12:15 AM
WKC
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Just an update. I got a great deal from the Boardwalk Maserati Ferrari service shop for doing all 4 wheel bearings on the 996 TT. They did a great job at a very reasonable cost (considering if i were to buy the special tools, parts and my own labour) and the service was exceptional. I never even considered them if not for a friend who has used them in the past for Audi and Porsche work. Other shop quotes were making it attractive for me to diy.

I asked them to save the bearings so I could have a look at what the issue was. In general I was suspicious of the front passenger bearing and it turned out to be true. The grease in all 4 bearings was drying out and clumping (I guess 15 years does that to grease). However you can see in the pics that the front passenger (right) bearings looked burnt/darker and the bearing races had pits in them. The grease also looked darker, not sure if from contamination or from friction/wear. All the other bearing races looked smooth and shiny.

Just glad to be back in the driver seat.

Front left bearing and rear bearings were ok, grease was clumpy

Bearings look burnt, grease was black and pits on races on the bad bearing

Closer view of the bad bearing race surfaces

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Replacement question - 996 TT