Some kid from Austin, Texas...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Forrest_H
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some kid from Austin, Texas...

Hey all!

My name's Forrest (Obviously ), and currently I have a 996 3.6 Targa (beautiful car) which was graciously sold to me (in payments, as I'm pretty young) by my father.

The engine failed after a catastrophic valve spring failure, in which the valve was stuck sideways and Piston 1 was slamming into it. The Driver's side of the block is cracked very, very badly, and the cost for either a new engine or repairing and reinforcing the current one (even on my own ) is just too much for an 18 year old on a $10 an hour to handle. I should also note that I didn't drive this car like a madman, I was relatively gentle with it, save for a few little quick mountain runs.

So, my reasoning for joining this awesome community is to potentially sell usable parts to those who need it (or maybe find out there's a cheaper way to repair it than what I'm thinking), and see what replacements you guys would reccomend. I'm leaning towards domestic because of this failure and my fear of this happening again, but an older coworker of mine has a 964 Carrera with 300,xxx on the odometer with no major rebuilds on the original engine. Anyone who would like to give me advice, I thank you in advance.

Thanks guys! I'm excited to finally be on this forum!

Edit: Also, I forgot to attach a picture! Sorry. This was taken on a roadtrip my dad and I took with it:

Another Edit: I forgot I can't embed pics until after a certain number of posts, d'oh!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 PM
davidnyc
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

What color is the interior?

Quick Reply: Some kid from Austin, Texas...