Houston Area: Victory Motorcars

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Houston Area: Victory Motorcars

Hey guys.

My dad has a 1986 911 targa he has owned since new. It currently has ~62,000 miles and he says its the most reliable car he has ever owned. He loves the car (as do I) and has been trying to decide what he wants to do with it. He doesn't drive it much of late mainly because of the crappy ac. He has debated selling it and getting something he would drive more often/every day (he drives a suburban everyday which I have never understood). Thankfully he has decided to keep it but he wants to fix a few things on the car that bother him. It is in very good condition for a pretty old car. He wants to add a new ac unit so he can actually get some cold air into the car, among other things.

Two weeks ago we took the car over to Victory Motorcars. We met Robert Neal, and he seemed to be a very nice guy. They had some pretty sweet cars in there that looked to be in great condition. Anyways, he looked over the 911 and we came up with a list of things that needed to be addressed.

-New ac unit (he said about $2.5k)
-Fix various minor dents and dings
-New shift ****
-"Engine cover" (some plastic thing on top of the engine that supposedly keeps heat out of the cabin and deadens some noise, I dont know the name of it)
-Driver side door trim is coming off, so that needs to be replaced
-A few other things I am forgetting

All in all he quoted us ~$5000 all said and done. My father doesn't know much about cars. I know a lot, but not much about older Porsches. He is fine with the cost because he will drive it much more/get more satisfaction out of it.

Like I said, the owner of Victory Motorcars, Robert Neal, seemed like a stand up guy. Judging some of the cars in his showroom it looks like he doesn't cut any corners and does the job right. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this guy either purchasing a car from him or having work done by him on a car. We have no reason to distrust him, but want to make sure. A man my dad works with wants to buy the car from my dad and offered $8000. My dad told him no thanks, and told the gentleman he was going to have it refurbished by Victory. The coworker said he had read some negative reviews of Victory, and to watch out. I just wanted to make sure we are dealing with a stand up guy. Please let me know your experience/thoughts. Thanks,

Lawson
Old 10-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Lawson,
I have purchased 2 p-cars from victory motors, at first I was in the same situation that you are now, after some people telling me not to buy from there, so I went to VM to meet Robert Neal, everything went good and I purchase my first air cooled Porsche from VM, a week later my A/C went out so I called robert and told him what had happened, he told me bring it by and he will take care of it, I told him I was busy and I will bring it to him the following Monday , on that Saturday morning he called me and asked me if I was home because he was going to send 2 of his guys to pick up my car cause he wanted to take care of my car, so 2 months later I walked into VM and purchase my second p-car from VM , Robert Neal is a great guy and he does what he says he's going to do, the 2 964's in my avatar picture are the 2 cars I bought from VM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
Lawson,
I have purchased 2 p-cars from victory motors, at first I was in the same situation that you are now, after some people telling me not to buy from there, so I went to VM to meet Robert Neal, everything went good and I purchase my first air cooled Porsche from VM, a week later my A/C went out so I called robert and told him what had happened, he told me bring it by and he will take care of it, I told him I was busy and I will bring it to him the following Monday , on that Saturday morning he called me and asked me if I was home because he was going to send 2 of his guys to pick up my car cause he wanted to take care of my car, so 2 months later I walked into VM and purchase my second p-car from VM , Robert Neal is a great guy and he does what he says he's going to do, the 2 964's in my avatar picture are the 2 cars I bought from VM.
Thanks for the insight. I posted in the 911 section and people are saying why risk it when he has bad reviews. I went to Momentum Porsche with my father today to look at some new cars, drove a few we liked a lot (I am partial to the cayman r we drove, such a great machine). While there a 1988 911 drove up, it looked pristine. Low and behold it had a victory license plate frame. We talked with the owner and he too had a good experience to tell us about. My dad really wants to keep it and fix it up, so we are leaning towards doing that.

Are there any other shops in Houston that are capable of doing this type of work? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

They are , but I got tired of all this guys guessing what's wrong with my cars, heck I can find the answer on this forum and find out myself what's wrong , I like taking my cars to Robert , cause they only work on air cooled porche's and there's no guessing there, they know this cars.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one from him several years ago & everything went fine. A couple of months later I was cruising some Porsche & exotic car websites & came across roadfly.com if you've never seen it you need to check it out. There is alot of VERY BAD reviews, I couldn't believe it. I thought my car was probably fixing to blow up or something, some of them made him out to be the devil himself, but its still running fine & I haven't had any issues. Robert's a salesman, thats how he makes his living so take it for what its worth. Good Luck! jmo

Quick Reply: Houston Area: Victory Motorcars