Notices

Texas License Plate Legislation - No More Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 AM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas License Plate Legislation - No More Front Plate

The State Senate and State House are both looking at bills that would allow a single license plate (no more front plates). Contact your State Senator and Representative and let them know of your support. Follow this link to find out how to contact your state legislators.

Information on the progress of the bills can be found here:
HB 309
SB 561
Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 AM
OneManTX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That would be awesome.

I used to live near a relatively busy intersection in the Montrose area of Houston. A cop used to stand on the corner and give out tickers for expired inspection etc.

At the time I had just finished restoring a TR6. It didn't have a front license plate on it and had it parked nose-out in my driveway. The A*hole cop walked up to me in my driveway and gave me a ticket for no front license plate. I got it thrown out in court, but what a pain.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apart from speed enforcement, what is law enforcement's usual rationale for having front plates?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up. I mailed my representatives. Never had a problem in Austin, but I just moved to a busy intersection in the Montrose area of Houston so I'm nervous now.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Apart from speed enforcement, what is law enforcement's usual rationale for having front plates?
Revenue enhancement.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Thanks for the heads-up. I mailed my representatives. Never had a problem in Austin, but I just moved to a busy intersection in the Montrose area of Houston so I'm nervous now.
Yeah, the cops have really stepped it up on the traffic citations lately. My morning nightmare is the westbound commute on I-10...3 cops a day running radar.

BTW when the jackass ticketed my TR6 I lived on Welch St. near the intersection with Commonwealth (close to Rudyard's). I'm in the Heights now, where the "Night Prius" drives around and gives tickets for being parked too far from the curb. Meanwhile, there have been 4 home invasions in the area this year.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Philipangoo
AutoX

haven't they been pushing for these bills for some time now ?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Another Don
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rinty

Apart from speed enforcement, there is no rationale for the front plates. One rather chilly morning a few years ago I stopped at a 7-11 for some coffee. I was driving my old Vette that had no front plate. As I entered the store, I noticed a LEO who was sipping coffee and staring out the window.

As I was leaving, the officer stopped me and asked if that was my Vette. I assured him it was and he asked me where the front plate was. I told him that I had just gotten the car and hadn't had time to install the front bracket. He then told me that I needed to get that plate on the car soon. I asked him what the big deal was with a the front plate and he told me that they liked to see them because it makes a nice, flat, metal, reflective surface for their lasers. He went on to say that they often have a hard time getting good readings on Vettes because of the slopey plastic bodies.

I owned that car for almost 10 years without ever putting the front plate on it.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
carsareart
Intermediate

So If I move to Texas, I have to have front plates. So what about this inspection thing. What is looked at on your state inspections?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Philipangoo
haven't they been pushing for these bills for some time now ?
since posting this, i have found out that this is proposed every year and fails every year. Oh well...a few more of us urging our congressmen.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carsareart
So If I move to Texas, I have to have front plates. So what about this inspection thing. What is looked at on your state inspections?
Legally, yes. However, my daily driver doesn't have one and i've never had a problem. I think it is usually an "add on" ticket when they stop you for something else. My inspector has never raised it as an issue. You'll find the inspection shops are mostly looking for things to fail that they could get some work out of you, like exhaust or repairing a blinker.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carsareart
In the bigger cities, emissions. Everywhere, a fairly light inspection of lights, brakes, and visual inspection of exhaust system. A pain to get done, but not too really much of a problem passing.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 PM
carsareart
Intermediate

Well I normally keep the cars in pretty good shape. Emissions....Well we will see, I have never had one of those done. Do I have to get a shop locally or can I take a drive in the country and find a shop away from the big town action.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 AM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

The emissions test can be a real expensive proposition if you have a 993 with an SAI issue...

The emissions testing machine is hooked up to a state network. The only way to cheat is to use another car, for which there are enormously stiff penalties.

Don't let anyone fool you though if you have a pre-OBDII car. You are not required to do the rolling dyno; they can use a sniffer.

The best way to pass emissions is to change the oil and then go drive the hell out of the car to get it real hot immediately before the emissions test.

Re: the front license plate...if you don't have, it could just give the cop a reason to pull you over. And say you had had two beers at the office happy hour...

Quick Reply: Texas License Plate Legislation - No More Front Plate