Notices

Dallas Area Tool Request

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 AM
CISCOKID
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dallas Area Tool Request

Does anyone have a spring compress or ball joint separator I can brought for a couple days? I don’t want to buy them for one time use.

Thanks,
Tom

tpuorro@cisco.com
Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom - I've never bought these tools either... couldn't justify the money, although I do have a large tool collection, just not a ton of specialty tools. Like you, I only need them occasionally, so I usually just borrow them from Autozone. Their tool loaner program is great. Their tools are generally in good condition, and they only require a modest desposit to borrow them.

If you can't find anyone locally to borrow from, give Autozone a try. Wherever you get the spring compressor from though - BE CAREFUL. I've seen those things come apart or slip and just about take a hand off. Always keep BOTH ends of the strut pointed in a safe direction... not toward a sheetrock wall in your garage, not toward your car, and not toward any person :-O.

Good luck!
Matt
Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to buy them. You can get a loan-a-tool from any O'Reillys, NAPA or Autozone. They charge your credit card, but refund it when you bring them back.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another note on the spring compressor. When we did my brother's Camaro, we ended up taking the strut assy's down to a local Firestone store. They swapped the springs out for something like $30 each, and it only took about 1/2 hour. Much easier and less stressfull then wrestling with "spring compressors" on your garage floor .

Quick Reply: Dallas Area Tool Request