Notices

Eagles Canyon Raceway tour... next tour March 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great time! I got a few pics... First photo is of Steve Watkins and Linda Cook (our hostess) in front of Linda's Ferrari. Second and third photos are of the bad to the bone Ruf machine. Even had a couple of Mini's (David and Chris), a few Ferraris, and even a Lambo Countach. And of course, I always have to include my own car (last photo).
Attached Images              

Last edited by TR6; 03-03-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:14 PM
azmi951
Drifting

THANKS!!! I had a great time.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:16 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Hey Greg,

How did I miss you there today? I don't even remember seeing your car. My better 1/2 watched you run, but somehow, we didn't even connect.

Great pics BTW.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:06 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by SeanR
Hey Greg, How did I miss you there today?
Just too much excitement going on, I guess! Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:51 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did everyone leave so early? I got over an hour of track time in today.

We had a great turnout, 30+ cars. We had a few Ferraris (an F360, 2 328s and a 308), the Countach, a couple Minis and a coupe M3s make is out with us. The drive out was a lot more spirited on the highways than it should have been...particularly with the traffic. I think next time we will go back to the old route and just cruise straight north to Celina rather than head all the way over to 75.

It ended up being a little too cold today. The wind out there really kicked up and gave everyone a chill...and not just the people. I drove out on the MPSCs and it took 4-5 laps to get them up to temps. I could never get my race pads up to temp, they were cooling too quick on the long straights.

We did have our first incident on the track. One of the P-car drivers was far too aggressively and passing people like he was in a race. He ended up driving right off the track going too fast through a corner. This isn't a good think since there is still a lot of construction going on and the runoff isn't finished. Everyone was asked to keep to reasonable levels, leave safe distance and refrain from passing. Until the track officially opens, there needs to be a safe level of restraint. Linda and David were both quite upset about the incident and the next time it happens, the offender will be asked to leave. Please keep a note as they have given us a great gift in being allowed to enjoy their facility and inviting us back. We should be respectful of them and follow their intentions.

Linda and David were thrilled to see such a large crowd. They were not expecting such a strong turnout. We may get a chance to have another tour in 1-2 months. They are also discussing having an annual one. I want to thank everyone for coming out showing such a strong support.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:35 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera

We did have our first incident on the track. One of the P-car drivers was far too aggressively and passing people like he was in a race. He ended up driving right off the track going too fast through a corner. This isn't a good think since there is still a lot of construction going on and the runoff isn't finished. Everyone was asked to keep to reasonable levels, leave safe distance and refrain from passing. Until the track officially opens, there needs to be a safe level of restraint. Linda and David were both quite upset about the incident and the next time it happens, the offender will be asked to leave. Please keep a note as they have given us a great gift in being allowed to enjoy their facility and inviting us back. We should be respectful of them and follow their intentions.
You should have seen the faces on everyone in the "paddock" area when the car went off. We could not see it but it didn't sound like it was a fun ride.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:41 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the straight when the guy pulled out and passed a string of cars at a ridiculous speed. I saw him come up in my mirrors, and couldn't believe it. He cut right in front of David in a desperate, but clearly hopeless, attempt to brake for the turn at the end of the straight. He went straight off, with no chance of any turn in. He could have easily taken David, his GT3, and passenger, out as he went straight off, INSIDE the turn in front of our host. He should have been asked to leave then and there. He continued to drive faster than his skill level, including down the straight and braking late where everyone was parked. Had he lost it there, he would have taken out specatator cars and people. Sorry, that guy was an idiot, and his behavior jeopordized everyone's safety, and was disrespectful to our hosts.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a prior commitment, a hungry dog, so I had to leave.

I think everyone, save the one incidentee, drove reasonably and within the expected personal limits. When I saw him passing several cars that were goimg a a decent clip up the main straight, and on the left hand side coming into a left-hander, I knew there was going to be an issue. On top of that, David was right there to see it! He probably should have been side-lined then, which should be standard procedure for them if something similar ever occurs on these gratis tours.

I hope that we as a group don't get a negative "reputation" with David and Linda. I know we all appreciated this unique opportunity, and are well aware of the generosity that David and Linda have shown to community in doing this. And to Kevin too, for organinzing!!
Old 03-04-2007, 11:08 AM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Why did everyone leave so early? I got over an hour of track time in today.
I ran out of wife minutes, and the overage charges are high.

We were the blue Ferrari 308. We had a blast even though Christin was a little too cold and a little too wind blown. I didn't know about the Junior Membership before yesterday. The regular membership's $250 monthly dues is too much for us, but the Jr. Membership seems like a good fit for our budget and available time.

I'm sorry to hear about the off incident. I think I was too far behind in the run group to see any of it. That is very disrespectful to our hosts as well as the rest of us.

Thanks David and Linda for having us out!

Aaron
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM
BADpolizei
Advanced

Here are some of my photo's, I have a few more but have reached my size limit. Link to all of my photo's.
Attached Images          

Last edited by BADpolizei; 03-04-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSAaron
I didn't know about the Junior Membership before yesterday. The regular membership's $250 monthly dues is too much for us, but the Jr. Membership seems like a good fit for our budget and available time.

Aaron
After driving the track for the 1st time last year and finding out about the Junior level, I made the decision to become a member to become a member at this level. Linda and David's attitude about the track is very different that other tracks. They want to keep the price reasonable and have a good sized membership.

It is the best deal for an occassional track running. $2500 to join ($2K before the track opens), no monthly fees, $75/day during the week and $100/day on the weekend. Guests can drive for $150/day and always free to watch and ride. It is a great deal for those of us looking to do 1-2 days a month. You can also upgrade the membership later, only paying the difference to move up to a full membership. Keep in mind the full membership includes 10 guest passes, so if you have friends or a spounse going out then it could make more economic sense. They are going to keep extending the cutoff period for the discount until the track officially opens...which may not be until June. They also aren't pushing to get membership forms until the track officially opens.

The big goal of the tours is to get impressions from the track from everyone. It is not just to drive to get members. Groups have been out there from NASA and Drivers Edge to give impressions of the track. They are looking for feedback on final changes. One example of this is they are looking at a colored light system at every corner to indicate the track status. Another is the location for corner worker stations. They are also looking for our advice on what we would want to see out there for the facilities. Always feel free to express you opinions with them when you go out there.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 PM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Loren? Are you G35 and Maxima Loren? I'm sorry I didn't recognize you.

Aaron
Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 AM
GO_ANALOG
Intermediate

Default Pictures

A few Pics from the trip...
Attached Images       

Last edited by GO_ANALOG; 03-21-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 AM
BADpolizei
Advanced

I thought someone got a good shot of my car on the track, O well next event.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 AM
GO_ANALOG
Intermediate

Thanks again to David & Linda Cook for making the cruise possible.

Thank you all for coming out and making this such a fun event. Thanks to Tillman for getting people out from the DFW Ferrari club. Wish that 599 had joined us…

It is apparent that everyone enjoyed them selves…

I see that some of you have given the bloke in the Silver 997S a proper lashing. After the incident I did immediately speak with Linda & David. I know that David immediately stopped Brian and spoke with him about how we are to conduct ourselves at one of these events. Also after the incident David took him for a guided tour of the track.

After the event Brian sent me a very apologetic email. I have forwarded the email to David & Linda. I thought I would share this with you.

FROM BRIAN:
"I would like to offer my sincere apologies for embarrassing everyone and have people feel that I brought the group in disrepute. There are no excuses here. I met with David Cook immediately at track side, and apologized unreservedly after he issued a thoroughly deserved dressing down. I am comfortable that my incident is seen as my issue and not the groups. I also apologize to anyone who felt physically concerned about the implications of a potential collision, of which I am fully aware.

Being the first car on track I followed David's lead. I am not sure what happened to Linda and Steve's game plan of two laps and change over, I lifted on the (proposed) start finish straight in preparation to let cars go by and re form but David carried on. He went quicker each lap before waving me past by the time we had reached the tail end of the main group. In the confusion, I was unsure if I was supposed to pass the group or not, so I carried on going past and made the stupid rookie error at the end of the straight. It was my fault.

The Cook's are great people and I am sure that this venue will be successful despite my best efforts on Saturday.

It was a fantastic day, a truly awesome sight to see these cars line astern, and the first event I have attended since owning my first Porsche a few weeks ago. I have learned some of your ground rules and will Endeavour to respect them and the privilege that comes with it."

Cheers
Brian

From Kevin:
I not making light of the seriousness and responsibility we all share when entering the track or street at such an event, hope that after you have read Brian’s apology that you will find it in your heart to forgive.

I spent some time on and off the track with Brian late in the afternoon after most had left. I must say that I quite enjoyed my self. I found him to be a gentleman on both accounts. He handled his car quite well and responsibly. I hope that Brian will feel welcome to join us again. I hope that you will all welcome him back, perhaps at 7/10th pace or 6/10th if you like, and for sure a little wiser.

Having farted in his general direction, on his return I ask that he bring us a “shrubbery”. If not, we shall consult the “book of Armaments” If he pass as much as a dozen cars at a time at more than the pace of an African Swallow, we shall be forced to use the “Holy Hand Grenade”. Traveling beyond the wind speed velocity of a European Swallow is right out!!!

All the best,

Kevin Hughes
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Eagles Canyon Raceway tour... next tour March 3rd.