Notices

Experienced 968 Mechanic around Plano Texas for AC Related Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 01:34 PM
guywitha968
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Experienced 968 Mechanic around Plano Texas for AC Related Squeal

Hello. My 968 squeals like a Banshee if I start it with the AC on. If AC is off, no squeal at all, until I turn on AC. The squeal lasts for a few minutes, varying with RPM, then it goes away. The longer story is included below as a screenshot of my posting on the PCA Tech Site. The advice sounds good, but it is essentially that I need to take it to the right mechanic, one that is experienced with my car and the Porsche P9201 tool, I don't know how to reliably find such a person. I don't have this tool or the expertise to use it myself and at $1500+ I don't think I want to add it to the tool collection, especially since the price doesn't include the expertise to use it. So I am looking for someone that has both in my area. I have searched this forum for squeals and most suspect it is a belt issue (but not all), but still given the history described below, I really need to find someone / someplace that knows how to diagnose and fix the problem once and for all. I did try searching for such a place here, but if it is here I was not able to find it.

Old 07-14-2024, 10:14 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Can you get to RAC in Carrollton? They should have the required tools and more importantly the knowledge to fix it. Maybe Autoscope in Plano?
Old 07-15-2024, 09:05 AM
guywitha968
Intermediate

Thanks, I could make it to either of these. Do you have a similar vehicle that you have had engine work done on at these places? Do you have a favorite mechanic at either place?
Old 07-21-2024, 06:36 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

I used RAC exclusively when I lived up there, when Hans Hoffman ran the shop. He went out on his own I think - there are other threads here with his new #, and that is who I dealt with, as he is great and super honest. I had work done there on 911s and Cayennes.

Info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/central-...on-please.html
Old 07-28-2024, 02:04 PM
guywitha968
Intermediate

Thanks, I sent Hans a DM.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:59 PM
guywitha968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leftlane
Can you get to RAC in Carrollton?
I called RAC, told them I was specifically looking for someone with hands on 968 experience since just going to a Porsche specialty place overall doesn't appear to be good enough from my own personal experience anyway in this case. They were honest up front, that's not them, but the person I spoke to gave me contact info for Bob McAfee who currently works at Robinson Restoration in Denton TX, so I'll give him a call. I am not looking for anything I would call "restoration", at least not today, so I'll call and ask the same question and see where that goes... The person at RAC said Bob used to work there and was the go to for 944 and 968 so we'll see what we see!

Quick Reply: Experienced 968 Mechanic around Plano Texas for AC Related Squeal