Notices

Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Scooterwhite87
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue

Hi everyone, I've been looking for a used Cayenne for my wife. In my search I came across a 2006 that just had the transmission replaced. Here's what the seller says, "I bought this SUV with a bad transmission, so i put another transmission in it and they told me it needs to be driven daily for 3-4 weeks to break it in.. the truck runs and drives fine, can drive cross country right now.. but sometimes when going through the first few gears it acts up like it doesnt 100% know its shift points but other times it will shift right through the gears fine... i lost my license and just dont need it anymore".

Does this sound like the computer relearning your driving style or something more serious? Are there other symptoms/sounds I should ask about? I have plenty of mechanical knowledge just new to high end foreign vehicles.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-22-2024, 02:53 AM
W John Houston
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans stuff

Originally Posted by Scooterwhite87
Hi everyone, I've been looking for a used Cayenne for my wife. In my search I came across a 2006 that just had the transmission replaced. Here's what the seller says, "I bought this SUV with a bad transmission, so i put another transmission in it and they told me it needs to be driven daily for 3-4 weeks to break it in.. the truck runs and drives fine, can drive cross country right now.. but sometimes when going through the first few gears it acts up like it doesnt 100% know its shift points but other times it will shift right through the gears fine... i lost my license and just dont need it anymore".

Does this sound like the computer relearning your driving style or something more serious? Are there other symptoms/sounds I should ask about? I have plenty of mechanical knowledge just new to high end foreign vehicles.

Thanks for the help!
  1. unsure of the relearning situation. My 2006 Cayenne S has 193,000 miles on the transmission, and I regularly change the oil and filter in it. I notice when its cold, it'll sometimes get "confused" between 1st, and 2nd.... momentarilly, then after a couple minutes, will shift normally. Weird that it needed replacing. They seem like a very stout transmission

Quick Reply: Transmission issue