Notices

Cayenne TT 2,400 mile review

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:27 AM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cayenne TT 2,400 mile review

I wanted to post this after I was able to get my photo hosting site to work right, but no such luck.

As you guessed the Cayenne won hands down but scared the living daylights out of my wife!

After driving a total of 10 ½ hours from Chicago to Asheville, NC, another 4 ½ hours to Isle of Palms after a two day stay, 5 hours to High Point, NC, and the final leg 12 hours back to Chicago, I absolutely love the Cayenne Turbo!!! Power and handling, you forget you are in a SUV handles like sports car! Rain sensor is great! Brakes WOW!!!

Driving on I-64, I-75, and I-40 through Kentucky into North Carolina all the curves and hills were exhilarating. Even though the Cayenne could have handled much more speed I wasn’t comfortable driving too much more than the posted speed limits. The posted speed was reduced in the curves but I pretty much kept my original speed. The ride was very quiet no wind noises from my truck as some have reported. As soon as the sun came up Friday morning stares and smiles cars galore. The exorcist head turn was popular!!! At times it became challenging to navigate around them.

I learned a lot about the Navigation system. It got us to the entrance to the Biltmore state flawlessly. Programming the destination was hard though. I tried to enter Hendersonville Road and McDowell Street and it would not accept junction. However I selected McDowell Street and Hendersonville Road it worked, go figure. PCM/NAVI is quite irritating when you pull off the road to get gas. It tries desperately to turn you around. There should be a button to press to let it know you are going to refuel, instead of having to uncheck “Active.” Again the level of detail was O.K. and took us right to the door of Wild Dunes in Isle of Palms. The <a href="http://www.navtech.com" target="_blank">www.navtech.com</a> CDs started having problems on the return trip. It would not allow me to enter the address of the Hotel in High Point, and the intersection it took us to was not near the Hotel or as indicated by Mapquest. Upon leaving High Point back to Chicago, I exited from U.S. Route 52 North onto I-74 West; the navigation system showed me driving in the beige as if the road did not exist. Once I got to I-77 North it recalculated my route home.

Fuel economy was pretty much 17 mpg at 78 mph, 19.9 mpg at 55 mph, 16.6 mpg at 85 mph.

The seat after this many hours of driving was comfortable but did not keep me from having the usual stiffness and sore butt. More breaks were needed but I was enjoying driving too much.

And now the issues, most of these are engineering issues so if Porsche is listening here ya go!

1. I have the rear windshield wash leak, dealer contacted; it only drips after you use the front washers. I assume they use same reservoir,

Ing. Rear reservoir needed.

2. Cruise control arm should be on the right; it’s too close the turn signal

Ing. Put it on the right like in the Boxster and Carrera.

3. Windshield wipers make the sound whoop-WUUUUUH, not really a big deal but after 8 hours of driving in the rain, sound starts to feel like Chinese water torture. Rear wiper frequency is too often.

Ing. Tie in rear wiper with rain sensor.

4. PCM, get Navtech to reformat discs. I could get my audible instructions in too many languages.

Ing. More updates, more data by one or two languages on the disc. Order disc in required language.

5. Press mute button on steering wheel, then press + or – to un-mute, takes me to a different song, intermittent problem, maybe a function of using CD-R?

I thought my “auto” feature for my headlights had malfunctioned but after returning home I read in manual that they turn on once you exceed 87 mph. Does anyone know what speed you have to slow down to and for how long before suspension returns to normal height?

I have some pictures but still waiting on 986host to work right.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Delesh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you had a great vacation. i am really glad you are enjoying your cayenne after all the trouble you went through. wish i had the turbo, but i still love my s.

Quick Reply: Cayenne TT 2,400 mile review